Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Megger
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ho one and all,

I have a spider that has decided to make its home in Mk3 wing mirror. Within hours of removing the cobwebs, it has started again.

Am not sure how to remove the mirror without breaking. I have tried with a wide lever, but the amount of flex gives me cause for concern that the mirror will snap.

Have seen some u-tube vids of lifting an prying from the bottom, but again, no apparent releasing of the backing.

Is there a secret method?

Thanks and toodle pip

·
Mondeo Lover
823 Posts
I also have a spider thats took up residence in my passenger side mirror, if its the same one its been there for about 3 years, its survived hundreds of pressure washes and must be sick to death of spinning new webs when i clean them off. When I sell the car eventually I'm going to add him into the final price, anyone know the going rate for spiders these days?

·
Megger
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is also in the passenger side and endured one, tow, many, many, many pressure washes. Perhaps they are related?

·
I Love Diesel
2,215 Posts
I seem to remember (quite possibly wrong) that you need to press/release a tab or tabs that hold the mirror glass in. This, of course, is easier said than done. I've been meaning to replace the heated mirror glass in my driver's door mirror for years, but never got round to it because I will probably damage something doing it.

·
Clever Clauggs
4,364 Posts
I've had spiders both sides,got rid of both spiders as they were out on the web,probably surfing :D, but a new spider has found its home in drivers mirror this year as other one i flicked off whilst driving.

·
Little Megger
4,450 Posts
You need an old woman.....

·
Megger
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found this page (How to change mirror on a Ford Mondeo MkIII – Reset service light, reset oil life, maintenance light reset) on how to remove the mirror b ut my experience is not as easy as this implies.

I did manage to remove the glass, but the gimbal ring that should be attached to the motor came with it, and in the process, snapped off one of the balls that is part of the ball/socket link that adjusts the mirror.

The problem is simaple when it is a apart; the mirror backing has four pairs of 'hooks' that clip onto the ring, but once in place, they are not designed for easy removal. So the law of The Path of Least Resistance comes into effect and the ball/socket link snaps.

Fortunately, X years ago, someone smashed my mirror while I was in a supermarket and as a result, I have to get a replacement from a breakers. The motor units for OS and NS are the same, so had a replacement, complete with the attached gimbal ring. then the mirror just snaps back on; unfortunately, after all this effort, I did not find a spider!

Gas Font Auto part Circle Fashion accessory

These are the four pairs of locking tabs on the back of the mirror.

Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Automotive lighting Camera accessory

Gimbal ring; the circles are where the motor adjusment ball and socket fit. The arrows are where the see-saw bar fits at both ends. The small lines are where the mirror locking tabs will clip. Because of the way the motor unit is made, this ring is not easy to fit to the motor unit and therefore should not come off when the glass is removed.

Toy Rim Auto part Gadget Goggles

This is the motor unit; circles are the ball fittings that engage with the respective sockets on the gimbal ring. The arrows are the ends of the see-saw that engage in similar shaped sockets on the diameter of the gimbal ring.

Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Audio equipment

This is how the gimbal ring and motor unit should all fit together and it is easy to see why I managed to snap one of the ball/socket joints!

In the long run, I would recommend leaving the spiders in their home!

·
I Love Diesel
2,215 Posts
And that's precisely why I've put off replacing my door mirror glass for so long.

The Haynes manual (bless it), instructs you to "carefully depress the plastic tags" with a screwdriver to release the mirror glass, but is this realistically possible? If you just pull on the glass (as most articles like the one in the link instruct) then it's 50/50 or worse that you'll damage the mechanism. Breaking the glass itself wouldn't matter to me, as I want to replace it, but breaking the mechanism would be a pita.

Helpful pics by the way!

·
Megger
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think it is realistically possible as a/ it is not possible to see what you are doing and b/ there are eight tabs, and I don't know how one would get a lever behind them.

I was lucky in having a spare motor with ring attached so replaced it.

I will admit that once the mirror and gimbal ring where off, lifting and easing one tab, allowed its pair to release quite easily and once I had relaesed two pairs, the ring came off in my hand. But I'm not about to do it all again to see if Haynes is correct!

·
Registered
775 Posts
If get them in my mirrors I just use the old deodorant and a lighter method to flamethrower the suckers out,, never to sure if they actually come or just frazzle away 🤣🤣

·
Megger
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wtih the exception of BBQed spider, does that not risk melting the wiring?

·
Clever Clauggs
4,364 Posts
Try pressing evenly on four corners of mirror with a tilt see if mirror pops off the motor brackets,i did it years ago when prats kicked whole mirror off.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Wtih the exception of BBQed spider, does that not risk melting the wiring?
Probably but as long as the spiders gone I don’t care 🤣,, hopefully if another spider comes along and sees the umpteen crispy ones he’ll decide to move on to someone else’s mirror 🤣🤣

·
Megger
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been a few days since 'fixing(!)' the mirror and there is no cobweb evidence, so can only assume the spider has been re-housed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts