Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Squeaking windows when frosty/cold

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  DaveH87 
#1 ·
Hi all new member, Ive had my mk5 estate since march, great car, apart from the passenger driveshaft letting go its been faultless.

One annoying thing is when the outside temp is cold, around zero C, or when the car has a good covering of frost the windows (mostly the rears) squeak like a mother fluffer when driving along. Does anyone else have this issue.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
When you say the "windows" do you mean the Flexi seal along the top of the window frame where it touches/seals all along the roof line when door is closed

Is it a 2015/2016 car, early diesel models did have driveshaft problems

Reactions: DaveH87
#3 ·
When you say the "windows" do you mean the Flexi seal along the top of the window frame where it touches/seals all along the roof line when door is closed

Is it a 2015/2016 car, early diesel models did have driveshaft problems
It's the glass in the rear doors, you can replicate the sound by pushing on the glass. It doesn't do it when its warm or not frosty.

It's september 2016 car, 66 plate with 93k, 90k when the shaft went. Plus it is remapped to 224hp & 471nm so that probably tipped the driveshaft over the edge

#4 ·
Hi Dave, if it's the glass making the noise, sorry not heard of that, that means you can still replicate the noise with the door open then.

Usually it is the top horizontal seal rubbing against the paintwork (well known prob on BMWs), It is caused by polish on the paintwork - easy fix is to remove all polish/wax from paintwork where seal touches it using say isopropyl or even fairy liquid then clean/wipe with dry microfibre cloth.

When I purchased my car it looked superb, they had polished everywhere, including the door apertures, thus the creaking noises were horrendous - the dealer told me it was the brand new hard leather of the seats and the noise would go away when the leather had more use, ha ha

I just carried out the above fix in 15 minutes when I arrived home, never a single sound since Aug 2019

#5 ·
If its the glass it self squeaking/creaking in the window channels, drop the glass down and lube the channels with a silicone spray (not WD40)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.