Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
sounds like the auxilliary belt , if you load the engine up with front and rear screens , blower on full , all the lights on etc do you get the same problem ???? :L

·
Registered
818 Posts
paulyoung666 said:
sounds like the auxilliary belt , if you load the engine up with front and rear screens , blower on full , all the lights on etc do you get the same problem ???? :L
noticed i have the same problem, an when i have the heating, heated front an back on and headlights an head unit - same thing happens, an me rev needle dosnt work :crazy:

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
if the op means it happens when the steering is on full lock i suspect it is the belt as it is being loaded up at that point , i asked the question about artificially loading the belt to see if it replicated the problem :L

·
MEG Captain
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will give that a go tomorrow, cheers.

If it is the belt, which one is it? As you look into the engine bay is it the one on the left handside near the top?

If it's the pump how much am I looking at for that and is it something I could do meself?

Also I have noticed the steering has become slightly heavier. But I can't remember if it was the same before I put me alloys on, as I've gone from a width of 195 to 205?

Cheers :L

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
cant help you with which belt i am afraid :sad: , but the fact you are running wider tyres would make the steering slightly heavier in my opinion :L

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
do you get the noise turning the str wheel when stationary?
second hand - 30
recon pump from corner shop - 80
recon pump from ford shop - 160
new pump from ford shop - >>350
for labour don't know

·
MEG Captain
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I only get it when stationary. First heard it about 4 weeks ago one night. Then it went for about 2 weeks until it did it again. Only heard it a couple of times since then...

Really getting fed up with my mondeo now, fix one thing and another turns up! :(

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
ye ye welcome to the club, buy a new merc and you'll be fine for some time.
i bet on pas pump. the belts slipping is much more noisier.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hmm, wierd, i have a similar problem on my MK1, the sound actually comes from around the steering wheel collumn on the inside of the car though, i put it down to when i had to smash my window in blackpool (lost the keys on the beach-dont go there, worse day of my life) i figured sand got into the collumn, could i be right? or is it something you may be able to advise me on??

·
MEG Captain
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I tried that and it didn't go it! I heard it again today when pulling out of the drive. This was the first time since last Thursday. Didn't do it again after that.

What other symptoms would a failing PAS pump give? May try changing the belt first, can anyone tell me which one it is though?

Cheers

·
MEG Captain
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I last checked them a couple of weeks before xmas there was some very slight play in the drivers ones. This was very slight though. I know there is also a small split in the one of the rubbers as well but not sure which side.

Do these make a squealing noise when worn then? I thought it was a knocking!

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
if they knock they are long time gone. if they are dry when you park it sounds like metal is shearing, creak, scraching ...

·
Flesh and blood and camoflage
1,636 Posts
SDR said:
if they are dry when you park it sounds like metal is shearing, creak, scraching ...
This sounds familiar. I get that noise on full lock, or if I have been manouevering alot, also slight not vibration but like rumbling on full lock? Where are the links located and how would I check them? If they are just dry, do they just need a squirt of WD40 or replacing? Garage thought it was just the power steering either belt or pump. No other problems with steering.

Sorry for hijacking, but hopefully relevant to the topic. :blush:

·
MEG Captain
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I replaced them 18 months ago as they were knocking bad. I've been thinking of replacing them again though as I only used pattern parts and I thought they would be knackered by now. May change them anyway as it don't take long.

I don't think WD40 will work as the ball joint is protected with a rubber surround so unless that was already split you'd be better off replacing them.

·
MEG Corporal
801 Posts
what miles have these patern links covered for 18 months?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.