Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Big Megger
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 st24 has been drinking the juice latety Used to get 375ish from full to 1/4 left.
that dropped to around 275.
Read the codes, 1131 rear bank Co2 sensor. So changed that, no faults.
But still getting around the 300 from 3/4's of a tank, (370 from full to the light coming on)
Switched from sainsburys petrol too optimax, no differance, and still no faults.
I run a redex cleaning additive once a month(ish) and its had a seperate can of clean throught as well (german stuff can't remember the name.)
Its doing the same mixture of journeys.
But i'm still 70ish miles down on a take full.
And it didn't do this last winter, so i don't think its the cold!
Nowt else has changed.
Any Ideas?????????
Cheers
paul

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
I would say your speedo and mileometer have just got more accurate! How you ever got 375 on 3/4 of a tank I don't know!

Could be the case, I know my old speedo had to be replaced because it suddenly decided to read about 5 or 6 mph over what I was doing, so knocked the miles out!

Failing that, could be the brakes binding, blocked exhaust meaning you have to give it more throttle etc etc

·
Registered
328 Posts
I wish I could get that mpg even once lol. I filled mine up for the first time and I'm on 180 odd with a quarter of tank left.

·
Big Megger
321 Posts
Most I've ever had from a full tank is 350 and that was mainly motorway driving.

I average about 275 from a tank.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Sounds like what i get Paul-only person i know who got more all the time is neild-you didn't buy a V6 to drive like a fairy did you? This was my best a while ago...........

·
Big Megger
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only drive it once a week on average, at a weekend. But we've had over 400 before the light came on, and that included a lot of 85-90 m/way driving.
How well
cheers
paul

·
Registered
145 Posts
my st24 was only doing about 120 miles to 20 pound of petrol :whistling: seller her parked up on drive way driving a 1.1 fiesta 50 odd miles to 5 pound of petrol :D :D very slow :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Crepello is the only one who has taken the trouble to calculate the economy properly, i.e 29 mpg
Gauges vary so much it is useless to say u get so many miles per tank
FYI I used to get 24mpg in careful slow drving short distances, i.e. 2-3 miles from cold, and 34-38 mpg in open road conditions depending on how frisky I was feling, 27 mpg towing a 1000kg boat, which I thought was outstanding, reflecting how efficient these motors are under load.

G

·
How did crepello get 65 litres into a 61 litre tank???

Also unless it was run totally dry and then refilled with that amount then the figures are inaccurate.
On the angel to angel run I averaged 38 to the gallon on the way up there. On a normal run to the Midlands at a steady 70 I average 41. This has been proven on more than one occassion in the car running Optimax.

There are so many variables to take into account when comparing MPG's, sevice history, state of road, state of tyres, temperature, vehicle load etc that it is silly to start a comparasion.

If the car is seriously down on the MPG then I would have the codes read from the computer to see if you have a lambda sensor or MAF problem.
But from the figures above I would say that the car is within what most people here would call normal.

Jeff

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well its around 2 gallons worth down on what it was giving before.
And i have read the codes, and changed a C02 sensor. and read the codes again.

Was hoping that some one might has experiance something similar really.

Cheers
paul

·
Crepello
549 Posts
I keep a spreadsheet of all my motors, and record every fillup, if you e-mail me I'll send you a copy, its in XL. Average fill is 14 gals, max 14.6gals which is 66.37 litres. Don't always fill up at the same place.
How much does anyone else get in their tanks?

·
1,823 Posts
I get about 250 to a full tank. But can get about 370 on a long motorway journey.

Best way to work out your MPG is

Divide miles(from full tank) by Gallons(from full tank) times 4.55

This will give you near perfect mpg :L :L :L :L

1 - 17 of 17 Posts