Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SMeghead
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been rearended in my Mondeo, I was given an ST line Focus estate as a hire car. It's been an interesting six weeks...

First impression (I'm used to the Focus, as my wife has a 1.6 TDCI Titanium) was "This has a V6?" Weird exhaust note. No manual to check, so up goes the bonnet before a quick check on ETIS. It's a 1litre three cylinder petrol engine. Sounds really sweet, goes like the clappers and is not excessively thirsty. It's the first petrol engine I've driven for any distance for over two decades. Dead quiet tickover - even when the stopstart hasn't kicked in. Build quality is OK but it seems to have the wrong driver's door card. The lines on the passenger side flow into each other. There's a gigantic step on the driver's side between the card and dash.

Niggles: electric front windows - the driver's side has one touch down but not up which seems illogical to me. You don't mind holding the button to drop the window but I want to touch it once for up and be on my way after paying my tunnel fee or whatever. Even odder, the passenger side seems to have one touch up on the switch but it won't activate.

The ride is firm to the point of unpleasantness. Way too hard.

The comms/satnav/audio is a touch screen. What a pain in the proverbials that is. As a nearly 6ft 4in gorilla, I have to have the seat as far back as it will go, which means the screen is full reach for me. Take your eyes off the road to reach for one of the screen buttons, hit a bump and choose something else. Repeatedly. Or hit the screen twice, so you go back to where you were before. Over and over again. When you turn the sound off on the satnav, it still mutes whetever else is going on for the duration of the announcement. Maybe there's a way to overcome these issues but, without a manual, there is nothing intuitively available.

The bluetooth wouldn't bond to my (admittedly older but why should that matter?) phone at first but picked it up after a few days. Unfortunately, that behaviour translated over to the autorespond for SMS messages - the one I sent took five days to arrive, causing much confusion. Good sound form it but I find it an overall hazardous distaction.

All the Fords I've driven over the last 20 years have had a warning for washer fluid. They seem to activate when the bottle is half full. The ST's warning came on and. two squirts later, ...... nothing. Not even foam. When I refilled it, the bottle barely took 2.5 litres. Not enough. One good thing in the washer area is that the washer activates before the tailgate wiper. Might save on blades in the long run.

Overall, I'm rather disappointed. I wasn't expecting it to be comfortable for me and there have been some subtle improvements (the front wipers work much more smoothly than the Titanium's versions, which slap from end to end like visitors to the Bigg Market on a Saturday night) but it seems to have some serious flaws that would make it very unpleasant (not to say hazardous) to live with in the long run.

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,631 Posts
An ST "LINE" spec with no options/extras added is a pretty base spec vehicle. Other models/specs can be had with one touch up and down windows etc. The mk5 mondeo has never had a low washer bottle warning (dam "world" car) until this years production. Yes, agree, using touch screen whilst on the move is awkward and worse still, it is dangerous, switches/ buttons much easier to work with and still keep eyes on the road. Obviously this prob is not just applicable to Ford vehs, but hey ho, the kids love their "cool gadgets"

Sent from my XT1032 using TalkFord.com mobile app

·
8 gears or more please
5,631 Posts
To be fair though I recon I only use touch screen once in a blue moon. You could do with reading the manual, which, for obvious reasons, is not usually left in a loan/hire car. Most operations can be done from the st wheel controls or using massive choice of voice instructions which are pretty good

·
8 gears or more please
5,631 Posts
Sorry, no. Base models or thereabouts dont come with one touch up, only down

·
SMeghead
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I tried resetting a few times. If you could feel the switch, it is obvious that there is no one touch up on the driver side. There does appear to be one touch up on the switch on the passenger side, though. But it won't do it.

When I get the "How did we do?" from the hire company, lack of a manual is going to be my main complaint.

·
8 gears or more please
5,631 Posts
Hi Mike, yes I hate no one touch "up' vehs. Pay your car park exit fee etc and you have to drive off holding switch up.
On the Mk2 Focus STs I had to get one touch up on front doors you had to buy a 5 door with option of rear electric windows added, which was ok for me as thats what I wanted but guys with 2 door models were really annoyed it could not be specced

·
SMeghead
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's just stupid - but not, sadly, surprising. Found an actual fault with it today. When you use most of the rev band to accelerate, it doesn't want to fall back for the next gear.

HNY.

·
Focus Mk3 Moderator
2,216 Posts
Found an actual fault with it today. When you use most of the rev band to accelerate, it doesn't want to fall back for the next gear.
This is normal for all modern gearboxes. When you depress the clutch to change gear the revs will drop down a little but will hold for a couple of seconds while you engage the next gear. If you keep the clutch in for more than a couple of seconds the revs will drop down to idle.

I am assuming this is what you are talking about. :)

·
8 gears or more please
5,631 Posts
Mike, stupid AND surprising - my mate buys a £42k BMW 528 M Sport and finds NO folding mirrors - they are optional extra- he was well peed off

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Found an actual fault with it today. When you use most of the rev band to accelerate, it doesn't want to fall back for the next gear.
This is normal for all modern gearboxes. When you depress the clutch to change gear the revs will drop down a little but will hold for a couple of seconds while you engage the next gear. If you keep the clutch in for more than a couple of seconds the revs will drop down to idle.

If you release the throttle slowly instead of just letting off it'll presume that you are not accelerating hard and drop immediately,

I guess keeping rpm up is to help alignment of gears when shifting hence improving momentum (and comfort as the cluch point will match better).

At least this is how it works in my Focus 1.6 Ecoboost.

·
8 gears or more please
5,631 Posts
Its nothing to do with "comfort" blah blah blah, it's all to do with bloody emissions

·
SMeghead
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

It is indeed. I find it very disconcerting.

·
SMeghead
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mike, stupid AND surprising - my mate buys a £42k BMW 528 M Sport and finds NO folding mirrors - they are optional extra- he was well peed off

It's not so long ago that _everything_ was an optional extra on BMWs. Any radio on any model and I seem to remember even carpets and screenwashers (before they were made a legal requirement) on base models.

·
8 gears or more please
5,631 Posts
Yes, lot of complaints on FocusSTOC site re the mk3 with 2L Ecoboost. Some are worse than others. Some don't do it. Not sure but there may, repeat may have been a software upgrade to early prob vehs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.