Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Megger
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Experienced this weird problem a couple of times, enough to convince me that it is happening, I am posting to ask if anyone else has expienced it.

Driving along a country road in Devon, there is a slippy right hand corner with a manhole cover on the outside, right on the correct line.

It appears to be confusing the Traction control or anti skid.

When I turn in and hit the manhole cover the ASM light on the dash lights up. Although there may be a momentary slide on the grate, the car does not skid around the corner.

The problem is the ASM thinks it does, and the light stays on, worse than that though, frequently I can feel the brakes being applied strongly to the nearside front wheel. I repeat, this is happening when the car is not skidding.

I got the car checked (less than 10k, 8 months old) and all the brakes are fine. I know this is happening, and it appears to be being caused by the manhole cover, as to test last night I went through the corner quicker, but avioded the grate. No problem.

I understand why the tcs/asm would be coming on if it felt the car slide on the manhole cover, but why is it staying on when the car is not sliding?

Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Megger
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No knocking noises that are noticable,

And I did ask the Ford Dealership to check it over, they said it was fine...

The problem is not the light, it is the fact that all the way round the corner, the ESP is still kicking in (you can feel it still braking the car), even when the speed gets very low. It feels like it starts when it hits the manhole cover, then keeps braking the wheel cos it thinks it is still sliding. Maybe because the wheel is still loaded, or the brakes are locking up and it is all getting confused.

Apart from this one corner, the car behaves fine. The TC/ASM seems to work fine, when driving normally or enthustically, like I said it appears to be just the manhole cover confusing it.

·
Megger
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I guess I am alone in this problem.

Any advice on where to go/who to ask?

I live near Plymouth. May try Vospers at the next service. Quay garage (In Kingsbridge) failed to find anything though.

·
Big Megger
263 Posts
Might I suggest that there actually isn't anything wrong and it is working as it is supposed to. The TC doesn't know that it is riding on a manhole, just that there is a loss of traction and kicks in like it is supposed to.

·
Big Megger
209 Posts
The ESP on mine goes mental when I drive over a specific set of KEEP CLEAR markings quickly on a roundabout when its damp or wet - its a very strange feeling but everywhere else its absolutely fine and tends to be quite "hands off" compared to some systems which blink the light every time you go anywhere near the throttle.

At the end of the day its a computer programmed to deliver a set response to certain inputs. It can't be programmed for every eventuality. I'd guess you're getting wheel slip on one wheel and the ESP is simply slowing it down to the speed of the opposite wheel. It can't anchor on one wheel as it would cause the car to change course, so it will do it gradually which is why it feels like it continues to brake through the corner.

·
Megger
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote name=Ken tdci]Might I suggest that there actually isn't anything wrong and it is working as it is supposed to. The TC doesn't know that it is riding on a manhole, just that there is a loss of traction and kicks in like it is supposed to.[/quote]

Yeah, the problem is that the TC or ASM is still going nuts all the way round the corner.

Its kind of like it is making the nearside front wheel brake, so then thinks its still skidding when its not, If that makes sense.

Anyway as long as there is nothing wrong, it isn't really a problem. I Now go slower round that corner.... :yawn:

·
Little Megger
19 Posts
Are you off the brakes at this point?

If not, it could be the emergency brake assist causing maximum braking of wheels with traction until you fully relese the brake pedal.

Just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.