Ford Automobiles Forum banner

ST200 gearbox options

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Wiltsu 
#1 ·
Im am in the process of removing my subframe and gearbox, and would like to swap in a fully working box, since my current one has a very worn out third gear.

ST200 boxes are really hard to find (i live in Finland). I know the regular mk2 Mondeo V6 box will fit, it only has shorter ratios. But i have found out that those are very hard to get a hold of as well.

Will any other Ford-boxes fit the ST200 engine? The mk3 Mondeo also used the MTX75 box, on of those maybe? Really easy to find. The mk3 also came with the old 2,5 V6 duratec, so one would think that at least the box from one of those would fit.

And what about these guys that have fitted ST220-engines to their 200's? If the ST200 gearbox fits the 3,0-duratec, should that not mean that the ST220-box fits the 2,5, either in 5- or 6-speed form?

I tried asking on other sites also, but nobody has been able to help, i would really apperciate if someone on here could give me some facts. :L

#2 ·
mtx75 is fitted to all mk2's, some early mk1/2's have a cable clutch but the rest are hydraulic clutch. Diesel ones are geared differently, but 4 cylinder petrol ones should also be ok to fit...

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the reply.

If that is the case, i would have no problem finding a gearbox. There are loads of 4-cyl boxes around. But a 4-cyl box would result in quite short gearing for the ST200, eh? :lol:

Maybe i should try asking Ford themselves, i would hate to buy a gearbox that won't fit. They are expensive over here, and i have no place to store large spare parts.

I also have a new clutch kit for a V6/ST200, i guess that won't fit in a 4-cyl box either.

#4 ·
st24 has same box as other mk2 v6's (ghia/ghia x)

i think the internals are uprated (stronger) on the st200 box, and 5th is taller, to achieve higher speed.

#5 ·
4 cylinder models have a different bellhousing to the V6, and the MTX75 bellhousing is cast as one half of the casing as well. The early Mk3 MTX75's I believe were identical to the Mk2s so should fit without a problem in theory. I think the later ones didn't have a provision for the speedometer pickup, and just took a speed reading from the ABS ring gears instead, or at least that's what was the case with the MMT6 transmission for the ST220.

If you can get a Mk2 ST24/early Mk3 ST or a V6 Ghia gearbox, just use that one, only the final drive ratio is slightly shorter, which in a way is better if you're going to thrash the car round the track. Just don't use the silly DMF that comes with the Mk3 gearboxes.

I had the standard flywheel lightened and balanced on my old ST24 and had a Stage 2 clutch fitted, and although it was sometimes a bit nasty to drive in traffic, it got abused at the track and it handled it very easily. When I removed it once I scrapped the car, both the clutch plate and flywheel surfaces were immaculate

#7 ·
I managed to locate a gearbox from an 1996 Mk1 Mondeo V6.

It has cable operated gears and an hydraulic clutch.

Will this box fit the ST200? It has all the mounts, starter and bolts in the same place?

Here are some pictures of the gearbox in question:

3576012112.jpg

3501582069.jpg

I tried to find some decent pictures of an ST200 gearbox on the internet, but i had no luck, so can't compare them myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.