Ford Automobiles Forum banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

In theory lowering car will reduce frontal area to increase efficiency through the air, but any reduction in fuel usage would probably be unmeasurable.

Plus if you actually intend lowering your car the Eibach springs are probably the way to go, as shown by Mal above.

Peter
I can't recall the article I read years ago ...or dreamed about but indeed there was no engineering there. It was stated that in theory you will achieve better fuel consumption with a lower suspension but how much for how low ... nada. I was hoping for a 3-5% but probably if you go downhill.
For now I will keep the standard suspension and wait for my first shock absorber to leak or loose it's function and then I might go for the sport one.
I still have an 18 yo MK3 2.2 Tdci with OEM sport suspension and I was very happy with it, I just returned from a ride ... trying to compare it with MK5. From habit I like more the lowered position in MK3, the feedback and the way car is sliding in corners. As a parenthesis, for the same approximative speeds and driving style I got 7.7 on MK3 and 8.5 l/100km on MK5
Maybe you can give some more reasons why choose Eibach and not OEM.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Server: I previously owned a 2004 Mondeo ST TDCi estate with OEM Sports suspension and agree the handling was very good.
I also owned both a MK4 & MK4.5 Mondeo estate in Titanium X Sport which both had OEM sports suspension and handled nicely.
Then I ordered the MK5 Titanium X PAck which I assumed had Sports suspension as standard but unfortunately NOT... Ford in there wisdom had made this another tick box option at a cost of £299.
Sadly mine came with OEM standard suspension and the handling was dire... it was like steering a barge when driven with vigor on corners.
Something had to be done or I would of sold the car, so researched and found the best (at the time) warranty approved fitment was the Eibachs.
The Eibachs were fitted and the handling returned to being similar to my previous Mondeo's fitted with the factory sports suspension.
The car does sit very low and I like its stance, although some speed bumps need approaching with caution..

At the time of fitment (5 years ago) the Bilstien shock absorbers were not available so I went aheadusing the standard shocks with the Eibachs and Im currently 5 years down the line with 64k miles and feel that the standard shocks maybe showing signs of wear and if I was to change them out for new shocks I would probably go for Koni's as they have comparable performance for a fraction of the price of the Bilstiens.

Hope this helps......
Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Hi

I enjoyed over 10 years in a MK3 ST tractor with Eibach springs ( Wife not so keen ) Also waiting for an excuse to fit similar springs to my MK5. Neither car can however be categorised as a sports car with the MK5 feeling much larger and heavie.

I even have a front bib spoiler off aliexpress ready to fit when car is down to a suitable level.

Peter

Reactions: malford
61 - 63 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.