Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Ugly Little Mo Fo
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
don't know if this is the right section, if not can a mod move it please.

Mates R reg st24 wouldn't start so she got someone to look at it.

Now he's sorted it out and is asking for £505 for a new battery and starter motor, (we're guessing this has labour included (he's her m8 too aparently :eyesup: )).

Is this a reasonable ammount? or is he, like I think, taking the piss?

Anyone know how much a new starter costs, even from frauds.
He also said he had to drain and remove the radiator to fit it but in haynes it doesn't mention that at all so guessing again he's trying to add coolant to the price as well as extra labour.

Any help greatly appreciated guys she's getting pissed off at the mo and she aint in the best of health at the mo either, so I don't want anyone taking liberties if you know what I mean.

Cheers guys :L

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
well an GOOD BIG battrey for mine was £109 but i got it for £80 , the starter motor for what i would say should cost from £100 - £180 max , if you type in e-bay 'V6 Starter Motor ' tones come up for lots of cars that are under the £150 , there is no way you have to remove the rad to do them jobs at all , i must admit it is a pain in the ass of a job to get to i bet.

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
Right it says in book :

Remove the air cleaner and bracket
Jack car up
Disconect wiring from starter motor
Remove the fuel lines and bracket
Unscrew the bolts from the starter motor
And withdraw

·
Uncle Nasty
9,086 Posts

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
Mal said:
Slightly taking the piss methinks...

I paid about £60 for a v6 battery from halfords with a 3 year guarantee...

Starter motors here...

http://www.rmcarspares.co.uk/acatalog/RM_CarSpares_Starter_Motors_748.html...

£174 for a starter and £60/£70 for a battery,hes on to a nice earner charging £505..
i was not far out then , i said tops £180 , as said though for a MATE to charge £505 for a job that costs aprox £260 in parts , thats a bit of a joke :(

·
Ugly Little Mo Fo
3,428 Posts
yeah but the starters are remanufactured/reconditioned from that site, how much is a new one from frauds?

I agree about batteries though, it's a bog standard st with no extra ice so it doesn't need an upgraded battery.

thing is he said 2 cells were gone in the battery so trying to start it had knackered the starter which sounds like a load of bollox to me.

cheers for the posts though guys it's helping :thankyousign:

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
you cant damage a starter motor by lack of power from the battrey.....

WHY if it was a mate did he buy a Ford starter motor :headshake:

sounds like he was just trying up up the price to me :(

·
Ugly Little Mo Fo
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not saying it is an original frauds starter m8, but that's all I can think of that might justify the price. He told her it was a new unit so.....?

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
arr right i see what you are saying , if you give Trev a e-mail he will send you a price of a Ford starter motor , you will have 2 prices , his discount price and fords price , give him a e-mail he will reply a.s.a.p even on a sunday :L

[email protected]

·
Ugly Little Mo Fo
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cheers m8 fired one off, just waiting for an answer :L

·
Ugly Little Mo Fo
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
will do m8 and gonna print off this topic so she can see all the input :L

cheers guys, but anyone else feel free to comment :D

·
Uncle Nasty
9,086 Posts
I'd make sure that if hes charging for a new ford starter hes bloomin well fitted one before she pays....

·
Ugly Little Mo Fo
3,428 Posts
Hello Shaun.
Thankyou for your Enquiry.
Here is the information requested:
MondeoST24 2.5V6 Duratec(170PS)-Starter Motor (08/1996-05/1999)
Part Number: 1076141
Retail Price: £123.06
You Pay: £98.45

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Postage & Packing
Parcel Force UK 2Day Service £5.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prices subject to VAT @ 17.5%

Total Cost: £121.55

So even with vat should only be £145 for retail, this is pissing me off.

Now I've found out that Her/our "mate" turned up and bumped it to take it away. So I'm thinking battery and nowt else, as peeps have said a battery can't feck up a starter so basically he's taking the pish, added to that the bollox about having to take out/drain the radiator which isn't mentioned in haynes or TIS it's really getting on my tits now.

keep the info coming though guys, I haven't printed it out yet. I want all the ammo possible :L :thankyousign:

ps. cheers ryan for the link :L

·
Ugly Little Mo Fo
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yoda said:
not saying it is an original frauds starter m8, but that's all I can think of that might justify the price. He told her it was a new unit so.....?
Apparently he only uses original parts :loopy: , if in doubt lets pay more eh? :eyesup:

I'll have a look at it tomorrow to see if it's new it should only have been driven 10 miles at most to get it back to her and she wont be using it tomorrow till the afternoon so.....

·
ST200 baby
7,993 Posts
You are very welcome for the link mate , if you need any more ifo or help feel free to ask , and trev only sells ford parts so as you say that £500 bill was over priced mate :L

i think from now on you should do the work for her car mate , as said he sounds like no mate to do that , i would never do that..

·
Yo
3,632 Posts
The price/part number you have been given is for a recon unit, the price for a brand new one from Ford is about £200, so he may have done that, but don't see why!

AS everyone else says though, you can't break a starter because the battery is shagged, and you certainly don't need to take the radiator out!!

Maybe he decided to change the starter first of all, and when that made no difference did the sensible thing and changed the battery, then came up with the cock and bull story that he gave you!

·
Turbo'd ST24
10,084 Posts
MR_T said:
The price/part number you have been given is for a recon unit, the price for a brand new one from Ford is about £200, so he may have done that, but don't see why!

AS everyone else says though, you can't break a starter because the battery is shagged, and you certainly don't need to take the radiator out!!

Maybe he decided to change the starter first of all, and when that made no difference did the sensible thing and changed the battery, then came up with the cock and bull story that he gave you!
What a [email protected]$$ :loopy: i wouldnt let him touch my car ever again if i were u, i think any one with a braincell left in their heads would check the cheapest option first which would be the battery DUH, well youd would do it by trial and error, if the battery is dead u would either charge it, change the battery, try to boost it up or buy another one as the last resort, next he will say that you need your headgasket doing because you ran out of petrol, what a friend, with friends like him who needs enemies :headshake: :nono: :nunu: :doh: :tonofbricks: :angryfire: :annoyed:

·
Ugly Little Mo Fo
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cheers guys her hubby works away during the week (long dist lorry) so she's on her own apart from the 2 kids. hubby aint happy and wants a breakdown of the bill and so do I the guy who did it is a mech but still seems to be taking the piss when it's supposed to be friends, u know what i mean :headshake:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts