Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.
First post in these forums, and of course I'm asking for advice.

The car: 2004 Mondeo Zetec TDCi 130 2.0l diesel.
I've had the problems in the past where the glow plug light comes on, and the acceleration power vanishes in the car - but it rarely happens now; say once every 2 or 3 months (mainly because I pause after turning the ignition before starting the car).

Problem 1. When I accerlerate in the car, usually in third gear or higher, the engine over revvs and then after a few seconds kicks in and jumps forward. It almost feels like the clutch isn't fully engaged when accelerating and then suddenly catching.

I noticed an additional element to this problem, when travelling long distance through Europe earlier this week. I was running on cruise control at about 85mph (130kph). The car boot and back seat were full, but nothing overly heavy. When the car encountered a gradient/hill on the motorway, and the cruise control would increase power to the engine to maintain the speed, the car would accelerate to maintain the chosen speed, suddenly overrev (as if the clutch had been pressed in), and then the cruise control could knock itself off.

Problem 2. When the car is started, usually from cold, it rattles and shakes a bit and kicks out a reasonable cloud of white smoke, and then if revved briefly, it catches and softens out and then the smoke is gone. Once running, the car is fine and the engine runs smoothly.

I've had three suggestions from friends as to what it could be. One that the clutch is slipping. Two that the glow plugs need replacing and three that the oil filter needs replacing.

The car has 110,000 miles on it, is serviced regularly (every 12 months) - last in February 2012. The clutch was completely replaced 2 years ago (about 15-20k miles). The oil filter (looks like a coke can) at about the same time. To my knowledge the glow plugs haven't been replaced.

I'm unsure if the two problems above are connected or separate, but when I've googled both, they all seem to mention glow plugs.

Before I started buying glow plugs to fit them, I thought I'd ask your good selves for some advice/thoughts as to whether I'm on the right path or barking up the wrong tree.

Greatly appreciate any advice you can give folks

Daniel

·
ME
5,869 Posts
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? You may have water in the bottom of the filter, hence the white smoke. Make sure it's only a Ford, Bosch or Delphi filter only, other makes are not as effective at filtering the fuel and lead to problems. The other symptoms you mention certainly sound like a slipping clutch.

·
???
3,628 Posts
Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the forum.

I totally agree with the advice you've already received. Clutch is slipping and you have one or more faulty glow plugs.

If you intend fitting the glow plugs yourself then only use minimal torque as they break off very easily and require expensive tools to extract the broken bits. Let a garage (with the tools) do it if in any doubt.

Peter

·
MEG Corporal
1,762 Posts
Check your power steer fluid level - have a good look above the bell housing - the power steer pump sits right over and if its leaking it will go straight in through the starter housing and can contaminate the clutch

·
Old Fords never die they just keep on rolling.
3,051 Posts
Hi folks.
First post in these forums, and of course I'm asking for advice.

The car: 2004 Mondeo Zetec TDCi 130 2.0l diesel.
I've had the problems in the past where the glow plug light comes on, and the acceleration power vanishes in the car - but it rarely happens now; say once every 2 or 3 months (mainly because I pause after turning the ignition before starting the car).

The car has 110,000 miles on it, is serviced regularly (every 12 months) - last in February 2012. The clutch was completely replaced 2 years ago (about 15-20k miles). The oil filter (looks like a coke can) at about the same time.
Hi Daniel.

As above. I think it is likely your clutch is shot somehow.
As to your comment about the oil filter it does not look like a coke can. I think the filter you are looking at is the fuel filter (left rear of the engine).
The oil filter is in a plastic housing tucked up in the front right of the engine as you look at it from below and i would recommend changing both filters with genuine ford or bosch items along with the oil every 10,000 miles or 12 months maximum.

·
MEG Corporal
5,689 Posts
\hi Daniel...and welcome...the forth paragraph of you post .. where you say the motor rattles and shakes on startup suggests a dmf.. dual mass clutch ..problem .to test for this . start the motor and allow to idle.. then put your foot on the clutch pedal and press down until you feel it begin to bite .and hold at this point.. If you can feel vibrartion on the pedal coming back along your foot .. then the dual mass flywheel is going ..also does your motor sometimes rattle and make a scraping noise on shut down ..this is another sign of failing DMf even though its only done twenty thousand mls or so it may well be going again as it is possible ......... if is unlikely to be glow plug related as when you are up and running the glowplugs dont really have much bearing on this.. but i would run a leak off test to chek for missing injectors and also check the eletrical connections on the injector terminals ..but from what you are describing i must say it does sound like a clutch related problem ..s

1 - 6 of 6 Posts