Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Little Megger
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Here's some worrying goings-on with my 2000 1.8 LX:

From time to time I can feel the steering wheel kicking. Sometimes I can hear a bit of rattling from the front-right area (as far as I can tell whilst driving along) to go with it.

It can happen when braking and turning e.g. approaching a roundabout, or while just driving straight ahead. The problem is intermittent - doesn't happen every day.

I've looked at the front suspension, bushes, track rods, drive shaft joints, hub nuts etc. and everything appears to be OK - no obvious play.

Any ideas? The fact that it's intermittent is really puzzling.

Thanks!
Stew

·
Little Megger
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Time passes...
The braking thing has gone away and now there's a definite knocking noise when steering on full left lock - so i guess that'll be the outer CV joint...

Stew :mad:

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
take off the wheel and look

·
Registered
170 Posts
hi dont like bringing up old posts but i dont like starting new pointless ones just noticed my car is doing same sort of thing sounds like something stuck to right hand tyre on front? is it cv joint?

·
Little Megger
5 Posts
Changed the CV joint and the problem was fixed.
Cost £120 for the Ford parts - ouch!
It was also hard work to shift the steering knuckle ball joint!

The clincher was the regular clunking when turning on full lock at low speed. Now all fixed.

Stew

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
i would have got a new driveshaft easyer job the longer one on the TD i used to have was £75 and it had a 3 yr 60k warranty which is plenty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.