Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mondeo 2.0Tdci 2011, Had a new Clutch and DMF and as soon as I drove away I noticed the steering was stiff when turning both directions, and would not centre itself on exit from a corner or roundabout, in fact it was so stiff if I took a gradual bend in the road, I could turn the wheel and it would stay turned throughout the bend until I physically straightened it myself! including on roundabouts.

after being told it needed the angle sensors (theres one in the steering col plus one in the rack) resetting via a snap on tool

then

"its the filter in the fluid tank blocked, needs a new tank mate!"

and

"its the Fluid Mate" so did a drain and refill

then

"Its your pump mate not producing enough pressure"

then

"Its definitely your steering rack that's gone mate"

well here is the answer........When the Mechanic took the fitted the gearbox back into place, the lower gearbox mount has 2 bolts one of which goes sideways into the gearbox, the other goes through the subframe right beneath the rack! well both bolts are practically identical apart from one is 7mm longer, so when you get the 2 muddled up you end up screwing the longer bolt straight into the bottom of the steering rack.

as the rack is a precision machined sleeve containing a piston, its totally knackered the rack and cannot be fixed and also WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED for exchange as it has only scrap value.

also note the pump may well now have started whining and must also be replaced but only AFTER the new rack has gone in.

my mechanic found all this out the expensive way, after we struggled to find the answer and fitted everything else,

hopefully this will save people a lot of wasted time and money barking up the wrong tree with this issue

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Probably explains what happened to mine. Got my DMF done under warranty and the rack failed immediately. Second rack went in and that failed too. Third rack was ok so they probably worked out what went wrong!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I Reckon its been a big cover up with loads of ford customers, ive read so many posts saying they went in for a clutch and got told they had to pay in addition for a new steering rack!, this has gone on at garages all over the country so I wanted to let everyone know what the exact problem is so the garage can be held to account instead of the poor owner being ripped off!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts