Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm hoping somebody can help me with an ongoing problem with my Mk3 Mondeo. I bought it December '11 and have had trouble with the steering wheel not being straight/level. To drive straight I have to turn to the left so it's at about 11'o'clock (sorry for the lack of technical language!) if I hold the steering wheel straight the car drifts to the right. I'm basically having to correct the steering constantly.

After a bit of digging around on this forum and google etc it seemed to be the tracking so I had the car tracked and balanced at a local garage. This didnt solve the problem but the bloke in the garage insisted that when the car was on the ramp the wheels were perfectly aligned and the steering wheel was straight, then as soon as I get back on the road I'm faced with the same problem.

I then had two new tyres on the front as a couple needed replacing anyway, this didn't have any effect.

I then took the car in for a full geomerty check and these were the results:

http://www.box.com/shared/de909608297842bb504e

They said the tracking was a bit out and corrected that, back on the road and it was the same.
After 3 further attempts the garage swapped the tyres back to front and told me it was the new tyres that were the problem and now its fixed. Took it back on the road and the problem has reversed, I now have to steer to the right to stop the car drifting to the left, so the problem seems to move with the wheels/tyres.

Can anyone think of any likely causes for this? All I can think to do is get another two new tyres when I get paid.

Are there any further diagnostics I could do without spending a small fortune?

Thanks

Danny

·
Conversmod & Powermod UK Install & Support
2016 Mondeo mk5 Titanium 2.0 TDCI 180ps
1,312 Posts
i'm no expert on this by any means, but the angles on the front wheels looks a bit off still (camber/castor angles) which can cause pulling problems. The other thing i would suggest is about the tyres; first of all check if they are directional and that they are all fitted the right way round, and secondly that the tyres are balanced. most new tyres have balance markings on them in the form of different coloured lines - you need to make sure that the marking match on each axle - otherwise this can cause the same effects you describe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bigi, I'll take it back to the garage and get them to check the balancing as this should have been done when they fitted the new wheels.

·
Registered
552 Posts
It does annoy when you take these issues to the experts and they can't find the problem.

It's important dann when discussing this kind of problem, to be exact. For example, you say they swapped the tyres back to front. Now, do you mean that they replaced all the tyres(front and back) or do you mean they swapped over the front tyres with the back tyres and more importantly, do you mean they swapped wheels and tyres or, just tyres ?
I know it sounds like I'm being picky but it's so important here to understand exactly. I am gonna take a presumption here that what you mean is, they swapped the front wheels and tyres with the back wheels and tyres. Now there's a big clue here if that's the case...

let's imagine that reguardless of what the tracking results are, your nearside front wheel is toe'd in slightly(possibly damage to the wheel) meaning that the front is pointing slightly to the right. Now to compensate, you're steering slightly to the left.
Now, if you swap the wheels from the front to the rear, this wheel is still toe'd in to the right but, as it's now at the rear, it's steering the rear to the right which will then result in you having to compensate by steering slightly to the right(like when you lose the back end and have to steer into the skid).

Try it...get something car shaped...your tv remote control is a good example. Slide it in a straight line and then with your finger from other hand, push slightly at the front left hand side and feel how you have to steer slightly to the left to compensate. Now do the same but push the left hand rear instead and feel how you now have to steer slightly to the right.

It could be that the problem was never with the front wheels but, the rears(in this case...the offside rear). It could also be that the problem is not your tyres but, the wheel itself. Do you have a spare ? forget the condition of the tyre, I would pick a wheel and swap it with the spare. Then if there's no difference, I would replace the original wheel and pick another and swap the spare with that one...until I have tried every wheel to try to find the bad one and hope that it is only one wheel causing the problem.

There is also the possibility of either the front or rear subframe being out of alignment but, this shouldn't make any difference to your steering when you reverse the axle's(swapped the wheels from front to back) so, I would rule that out for now.

Hopw this has been some help mate and that you get it sorted...good luck...

Mart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts