Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've upgraded the Mondeo since last I posted on here - it's now a Mk3 facelift Zetec 2 litre (in gorgeous panther black!!) manual jobbie. Love the car (even though, for some reason, the boot release button is no longer in it) however there is a slight problem with it. I work shifts which involve me driving down the M4 between Bracknell and Newbury, and often I get stuck in rush hour madness. This is when the problem arises. The accelerator seems to stick when first pressing down the pedal, I have to give it a bit more boot when it seems to release and the revs race to 1500-1700rpm. Obviously when trying to match this to gentle clutch control, the car lurches forward and I find that when doing less than 10 mph I have to move the car forward in spurts, or ride the clutch quite aggressively. After a 12 hour nightshift, last thing I want is a stiff leg!! Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem on any of the Mk3's? The last Mondy was a 53 Mk3, and the accelerator was smooth. The new one goes in for a service in February so I'll probably get them to look at it then, however if anyone has any hints or tips........they'd be most appreciated!

·
Megger
95 Posts
This is normally the throttle body and flap gummed up-a known issue.
Easy to fix -unclip the throttle body and spray carb cleaner or similar on the butterfly and throttle housing paying particular attention to the edge of the butterfly and wipe down.Only had to do this once 2 years ago on my mk3 2.0 & its still fine.
Its stop start and traffic jams that cause residue to build up.
I now do high milage with big spells steady 70/80 plus which keeps engine cleaner
(If your still within warranty & can be bothered with the hassle pursue ford as some people have had new throttle body out of this but personally I think its such a minor issue not worth the grief)
PS-the sticking gets worse the colder the weather

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
on the contrary i would say this is a potential major issue !!!!!! , anyway , i had the same problem on my 51 plate 1.8 and got the throttle body renewed under warranty without any hassle at all :L

·
Megger
95 Posts
My cars now well outside the warranty but the hassle ford dealers caused when I had the cheek to claim the odd time-the rear subframe bushes and the wiper stalk problem for example-trying to wriggle out from paying up and fixing it :mad:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update - got bored in the end and got some carb cleaner from Halfords, took the throttle body apart and cleaned it myself. I could swear I'm getting an extra 50 miles from a tank now!!

Next up is a Pipercross replacement panel filter!! Perhaps some Black Eyes too if I manage to get some time over Easter :naughty:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.