Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

May be an unusual question but my mondeo is off the road now for six months and i looked at the discs today and they look a mess with surface rust! Any ways to stop it?

I know the discs are still on the wrong way but thats getting sorted!

Thanks

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
did you read the first post ???? , anyway , as for stopping the rust forming ( it is a good idea or the discs will get pitted ) , can you remove the wheels and leave it on stands , if you can then i would remove the pads and give the discs a good sloshing of duck oil or something similar , the only problem you are going to have in six months time is cleaning them off , its either that or new discs when you put it back on the road :thumbdown:

·
MEG Admiral
2,642 Posts
what about a very fine coat of laquer? that should protect it then rub off easily with a light sanding

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok If i get the rust off with a bit of braking then it is garaged should the brakes still rust or will they be ok? I was thinking about putting the front discs in some cheap oil as they are the only ones that are rusting that bad and they need swapping over anyways!

Thanks

Leighroy

·
MEG Admiral
2,642 Posts
they will prob still rust unless you got a way of keeping the damp out of the air, a heater would be ideal if possible

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
Leave them in the airing cupboard???

What you bringing Saturday then Leigh??

jcth1

·
MEG Corporal
533 Posts
paulyoung666 said:
did you read the first post ????
Yes, indeed!!! That was why I suggested leaving the handbrake off and the car in gear - otherwise the handbrake mechanism is likely to be stuck on and difficult to release!!!

A light sanding and a few applications of the brakes would quickly remove the surface rust - for that is what it is (will be) - when it is put back on the road.

However, I would not leave any vehicle without garaging it for 6 months!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am hopein 2 bring another mondeo if I manage to buy it if not i think i will have to come in a mates car!

I am guessin if the car is in the garage they wont rust as quick as i can get the car out every 2 weeks or so and give the breaks a bit of a use to get the surface rust off!

Cheers

Leighroy

·
MEG's Resident Removal Man
2,220 Posts
Probs be fine then bud. Im sure you can buy something to stop it from a motor factors or sumit.

Cool about the mondeo, lets hope you get it as i might be taking my soon to be owned mk2 aswell lol

jcth1

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
The brakes will get rusty anyway.. coz almost all brake discs you see on the road cars are made of cast iron... something which goes rusty very easily!

Mine will go rusty even if i leave it for a night or so, no worries, just go out and after a few traffic lights, all rust being rubbed off. That's another reason why the brake disc being worn down... due to the little by little the iron patricles disposed thorugh rusting.

By the way.. where did you get these grooved+drilled discs and how much did they cost you? (and how good are they?)

Phil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.