Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Ford Focus 1.6 diesel estate with a problem! The clutch master cylinder has been replaced due to the plastic plunger breaking - a common problem I'm told?

Since this repair the stop/start, cruise control/speed limiter, hill start assist and gear change indicator no longer work. Occasionally when stopped with foot on brake pedal a message appears on the display saying 'Hill Start Assist Not Available'. Otherwise everything works normally.

Forscan and ODB II reports the following:

P0807:00-2F Code: P0807 - Clutch Position Sensor Circuit Low

P0806:00-2F

-DTC Present at Time of Request

-Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for This DTC

Module: Powertrain Control Module

I found older posts describing exactly the same problem but with no conclusive solution.

I also read from other similar posts that the battery is a possibility, however this one has been changed recently and the problem was there before and after plus it seems too much of a coincidence that the problem started immediately on using the car after the master cylinder was replaced. It has been suggested that the wrong master cylinder has been fitted - is this possible?

Both clutch switches have been checked on and off the car. In any case I assume the bottom of travel switch must be OK since you need to depress the clutch to start the engine.

The top of travel switch has a good earth reading on the black/grey wire and the other wire has just less than 12volts on it until you depress the clutch when it falls to zero.

Before starting the engine the light in the stop/start switch is not illuminated. When the engine starts the switch illuminates 'off' after a few seconds. Pressing it after this point makes no difference - it remains illuminated 'off'.

Curiously with the ignition on and the engine off and the clutch pedal up or depressed the light in the stop/start switch goes on and off when you operate the switch.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted, thanks in advance.

Regards

·
Super Moderator
31,063 Posts
Yes, 2 separate units. One for vehicles with stop start and another for those

without.. Possible they fitted the wrong one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's of any interest to anyone since originally posting this fault/problem I have not as yet found the solution but……… the following might suggest a clue or two to someone?

During the summer I made a determined effort to find the fault. I started by finding the schematic for the car on line. I discovered that neither of the clutch switches (TOT and BOT) are faulty since the change of state can be monitored at the control unit when the pedal is depressed. I assume that the brake pedal switch is blameless since the brake lights are working and have always done so.

Having had the battery disconnected (overnight) to carryout some of this fault finding I initially went into panic mode when it was reconnected and the engine failed to turnover!

Coincidently (I assume?) the display complained that the remote fob battery was low so I changed it but of course it made no difference the engine still wouldn't turnover! However, after about 30 seconds with the ignition on the display said 'Press Clutch and Brake Pedal Together' to start the engine. Low and behold it stared OK!

For the next few on months that's how we started the car, recently for one reason or another the car stood unused for a couple of weeks whereupon we're now back to pressing just the clutch - so really back to square one!!!

A check with Forscan and and a laptop and the same fault codes are shown.

I remain convinced that this is some sort of software issue perhaps caused by the fact that the battery wasn't disconnected during the cylinder replacement but since the cost of reprogramming is prohibitive and the car is otherwise otherwise OK I probably won't pursue it any further unless someone wiser than me discovers a simple low cost solution!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found the issue after all, the issue was fixed after replacing the master cylinder with another one, from SACHS, with sensor, designed for Start/Stop cars. The other one installed by the guys from the garrage was not designed for cars with Start/Stop system but it's case allowed to fit the sensor from the old master cylinder which was not a good idea, it didn't work.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found the issue after all...
Many thanks Dan, I had exactly the same problem after my local garage changed the master cylinder. Luckily I read your post and was able to show it to the garage mechanic. Of course the way to approach it is to say that the parts factor must have supplied the wrong master cylinder....

A new one is being fitted next week; hopefully this will cure it, but I still seem to have my sticking clutch pedal problem!

Lance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And finally! Just in case it's useful to anyone in a similar situation.

It seems that the garage trade, at least some of them, are unaware that cars with stop/start (well Ford Focus anyway) have a different clutch master cylinder to those without!

When the plastic shaft on my Ford Focus Mk3 master cylinder broke the car was towed in and the cylinder replaced. On collecting the car I noticed that stop/start didn't work and was permanently switched off. The following day it became evident that cruise control/speed limiter, hill start assist and gear shift indicator were also missing. On returning to the garage they insisted it was nothing to do with the repair and it was a data fault. Because I was in the middle of a house move to a different area it was difficult to pursue and since the car was usable………!

After reading other posts above I coincidently came across the invoice for the repair and Googling the part number quoted for the master cylinder I discovered that it was a non-stop/start type (Europarts) that had been fitted. Since so much time has passed since the original repair and the distance involved there was not a lot I could do.

At a recent service and MOT I discussed this saga with a garage in my new area and they agreed to fit a genuine Ford master cylinder, at my own risk of course. When I collected the car they told me that the stop/start still didn't work. Their code reader reported 'clutch circuit A faulty'. However, on the way home I noticed that the gear shift indicator was now working so clearly something had changed! Despite leaving the battery off overnight it still remained faulty.

Now that I knew for certain that the correct master cylinder had been fitted I set about fault finding and discovered that the voltage at the hot side of the TOT clutch switch was missing. According to the schematic the wire is coloured green/violet but when it gets to the PCM it has become green/red with no mention of where it changes.

I eventually traced the change to pin 16 of the plug/socket on the engine bay junction box. The fixed pins in the box looked a little discoloured but metering pin 16 to ground and pressing the clutch pedal proved that to that point all was well so I began to suspect the PCM. The pins were thoroughly cleaned, contact lubricant applied, the plug was then connected and disconnected a number of times and the battery re-connected. Everything now worked as it should and has continued to do so for several weeks.

In amongst this saga I used a modified ELM reader, Forscan and Focccus software. For good measure I reset the PCM, BCM etc. Now flushed with success I turned on automatic locking, global window open/close, tyre deflation detection and emergency flashing brake lights. It seems odd to me that when a car has both the hardware and software for these features the manufacturer choses to turn them off - commercial decision I suppose?

The pins on the plug/socket must have become 'faulty' at some point between the two master cylinder changes otherwise I guess that the faults would have disappeared when the correct one was fitted??

The irony here is that I don't really like stop/start but it's nice to have the other features back along with some new ones. I suppose I could turn stop/start off in the BCM!

Hopefully this saga is useful to someone!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Looking at the brochure, In 2012 tyre deflation detection was standard on the Titanium X and an added cost option only for the Titanium (something like £75).

Flashing brake lights were supposed to be standard across the range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking at the brochure, In 2012 tyre deflation detection was standard on the Titanium X and an added cost option only for the Titanium (something like £75).

Flashing brake lights were supposed to be standard across the range.
Having downloaded the original BCM file for my vin number You're quite right flashing brake lights should be enabled. However, I wonder if it may have been present and I didn't know as the option was marked as 'unknown'. Whereas I changed it to 'with emergency brake light flashing'. I've not actually tested it.

This car started life as a lease car. I wonder if that has bearing on that or any of the other of the missing features - seems improbable but…………!

·
Super Moderator
31,063 Posts
Register on ETIS and check the build spec. Or pop me a PM with your reg and i will PM it back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also having the exact same issue with the same error codes. If anyone finds a solution please share ????
just had mine fixed the other day. You want to take the car to a Ford garage for this repair. Previous owner spent over £500 and the fault wasn’t fixed. I had the clutch master cyclinder changed (car stopped juddering in first and second gear) and both the clutch and break light switches were replaced.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
There are 2 possible master cylinders used on RHD stop/start cars (as far as 7zap.com knows, and it probably isn't aware of anything more recent that 2016 as far as the Focus goes)

Finis code 1547415from 03.01.2011, to 03.12.2011, Focus 2011-, RHD, Starter - Stop/Start System
Finis code 1838946from 03.12.2011, Focus 2011-, RHD, Starter - Stop/Start System

1 - 15 of 15 Posts