Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted some containers to store small saw blades in some mobile toolboxes.

The containers were for holding:

Junior hacksaw blades.

Fret saw blades.

Coping saw blades.

Piercing saw blades.

The various saw blades are different lengths, but a container with a 171mm long storage area would hold any of the above.

I've made two sorts of containers so far. The containers were made from the tops of fizzy drinks bottles, 21.5mm plastic overflow tube and 22mm copper tube.

Finished container using overflow tube.

Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior Material property Gas Auto part

The overflow tube was actually 21.82mm OD and was a near perfect fit to the inside of the fizzy drinks bottle necks. I glued the necks on with regular superglue.

I problem I discovered too late was that the fizzy drinks caps make their watertight seal by pressing against the internal diameter of the neck as well as the external diameter.

Looking at this pic showing the poly tube flush with the end of the neck it shows how the tube would prevent the bottle top sealing correctly.

Drinkware Wood Material property Tints and shades Cylinder

To solve this issue I filed away the tube inside the neck so the bottle top could seal correctly.

Wood Electrical wiring Gas Hardwood Auto part

The 22mm copper tube was just too large to be inserted into the bottle necks, so the inside of the neck had to be filed slightly to enlarge it. On subsequent containers I've cut the tube to 161mm and left a 5mm gap each end from the top of the bottle necks.

This type of container could be useful for carry things like grip ties etc in the boot of a car to keep them handy.

Attachments

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are finished poly and copper containers.

I used different types of bottle necks/tops on the containers to see if water bottle necks and tops fitted as well as fizzy drinks bottle ones.

Cosmetics Fluid Liquid Lipstick Material property

Using bottle tops like this is a fairly well known DIY project. I simply adapted the idea from the more common 'Lucozade cap containers'.

I use the Lucozade containers for things like keeping locking wheel nut keys in, it stops them from rattling in the glovebox or scratching any plastics.

Liquid Automotive lighting Fluid Drinkware Plastic bottle

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts