Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips for leaving the car standing for a few months? I was going to disconnect the battery but will I run into problems with ECUs?

Alternatively I could buy a trickle charger.

Any tips on looking after the tyres? They're good ones with lots of tread so I'd like to look after them.

For bodywork I was going to give it a darn good wash and wax; not going to bother with a cover (and my garage isn't big enough for a human, let alone a car)

·
Super Moderator
31,104 Posts
Over that time even a new battery may weaken. Small drain from the alarm maybe enough

to drain it.

Small solar panel to help boost it may be enough. Or stick it on charge every few weeks.

Similar with the tyres as long as they hold their pressure and dont lose it. They will be fine.

If you can move the car once a month, Just a foot or so backwards or forwards to prevent

it sitting in one spot.

Let the fuel run down, When you come to restart it, Add as much fresh fuel as you can. Dont

use additives. Just normal fuel.

·
azcolin
108 Posts
l run a Cortina and that is stored in the garage through winter, l do start it up once a month or so though and get it up to temp. never really had any issues after its hibernation.... an old trick was to wedge the clutch pedal down to avoid the clutch plate sticking but the Cortina has a cable clutch, not too sure if that's a good idea on a hydraulic clutch though..
l mark the tires when l turn it around in the garage to avoid flat spots

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the solar trickle charger sounds like a good one, and I can push it back and forth to stop it sitting on the same spot on the tyres.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it helps if you over inflate the tyres when storing - anyone know if that's true?

·
Premium Member
19,696 Posts
if you have 4 axel stands then jack it up onto the stands for storage & thus tyre problem solved :L

as above, alarm can drain a fresh battery in no time at all ( can do it in about a month so either every few weeks bang the battery on charge or keep it connected to a battery charger/conditioner thingy while in storage - you can do this safely even outside by having the mains cable leading to a socket that you can place inside the engine bay where its nice & dry & so long as the charger is also small then that too can be stored in the engine bay too ( this is how I left my mota for 4 days on charge a few weeks ago during some right rainy weather & no troubles :D )

only other things I may be considering for such storage is a day or so before do a oil drain & refill with fresh ( full oil & filter change if its coming up on changeout time anyway ) & then it can have some fresh oil going round it before it gets stored but not required I would not have though, more a personal preference :)

biggest problem is the process after storage as you must make sure you take it easy with it while you make sure the brakes start working right again as depending on where stored they may get slightly sticky ( defo will most likely rust up the disks so they wont be good for a few presses etc )

a car I used while my mota was on charge that had just come out of a 4 year sleep in a garage ( battery disconnected for the duration ) had brakes that were more press & prey than anything else for the 1st few days while they worked through the layers of rust & started moving freely again, but only 3 of the 4 brakes free'd up fully, the iffy one works perfectly from the handbrake but not via the footbrake ( this is on an old N reg mota with drum rear brakes so I assume the cylinder has seized on that wheel & thus no footbrake even with a good handbrake etc ) - only trouble is, I only found out about this lack of 4th brake when I hit the brakes hard at high speed & the car just lauched sideways on me near enough ( how I managed to keep it under control I have no idea ) pulled the seat cover out from up by but crack & carried on with the journey at slower speeds & the cars booked in for its brakes looking at whenever the mech has a free space before its ventured out of town again :} )

·
Super Moderator
31,104 Posts
l run a Cortina and that is stored in the garage through winter, l do start it up once a month or so though and get it up to temp. never really had any issues after its hibernation.... an old trick was to wedge the clutch pedal down to avoid the clutch plate sticking but the Cortina has a cable clutch, not too sure if that's a good idea on a hydraulic clutch though..
l mark the tires when l turn it around in the garage to avoid flat spots
Letting an engine sit idling to get warm is bad though. Especially with older carb fed cars.

You used to get bore wash, The extra fuel used with the choke and a cold engine would

wash the lubricating oil away from the cylinder walls.

Thats why shorter journeys in older cars was a bad for them, Lots of bore wear with very

low mileages.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks chaps. I only have 2 axle stands, typical!

I'm familiar with the rusty disc thing, it was loads worse when I lived in Portsmouth with the salty sea air. Couldn't get further away from the sea now (Warwickshire) but they still rust up.

I think I'm due at least a set of front discs/pads before too long so maybe I'll stick these on when I recommission.

Oh, and obviously I'll be leaving in-gear and not with handbrake on...

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I'm I Warwickshire too mate, Atherstone /Nuneaton way pal.

Don't worry about putting on stands for only three months the tyres will be ok. Put an extra 8-10 psi in them to keep em round. Don't forget you did it when you come to drive her though. :)

Fill the tank up with three clicks of the pump to make sure there's no air in there that can cause condensate.

Brakes should be fine. Give the area a blast with water, wait to dry and then take for a short trip to burn the rust that appears off the discs. Also chock the wheels (put chock next to tyre not wedged under it for same reason as more pressure or stands). This way you don't need to have the hand brake on, and that means the pads on the rear aren't touching the discs.

Good advice already given by others. Don't worry, car will be fine. On longer storage I recommend using a spray on wax, applying it but not buffing it off. That gives good protection. When you get back don't rub it off but wash it off or you'll grind dust into the paint.

Posted Via The Free TalkFord.com App

·
Registered
86 Posts
A friend left his old renault clio standing for a year, he got one of his mates to drive it forwards and back along the drive for a while every month or so

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.