Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi all,

Been a long time since my last post but here goes.

Recently I got in to my Mondeo (2007 Mk4 2.0 TDCi) and noticed as soon as I got to above 50mph a very slight buzz noise coming from the passenger footwell area. Gradually over the last couple of weeks its got louder and seems to get higher pitched as you increase speed. Ive been to Milton Keens this weekend and its really loud now at 70mph. Its not coming from the glove box but is in that general area. Its not linked to RPM changes as I have dipped clutch at 70-80 and the noise remains constant and only drops when I slow down. I am thinking its wheel bearing but wondered if anyone else has had it or anything similar? I jacked the car up also and spun the wheel but nothing, and the wheel is solid with no give or movement in it. Brakes fine also.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it change on right hand or left hand bends?
Havent really noticed it on bends, seems to remain constant depending on what speed im doing above around 50-60mph to be honest. It almost sounds like in older cars when on a certain AM radio station the engine would create that buzzing noise on the stereo. Except that changed pitch and volume with the RPM going up and down where as this gets louder with speed and is not dependant on what RPM im at.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Havent really noticed it on bends, seems to remain constant depending on what speed im doing above around 50-60mph to be honest. It almost sounds like in older cars when on a certain AM radio station the engine would create that buzzing noise on the stereo. Except that changed pitch and volume with the RPM going up and down where as this gets louder with speed and is not dependant on what RPM im at.
Have you by any chance changed the bluetooth module? Some people have had issues with alternator whine being picked up by the aux cabling without a ground loop isolator.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you by any chance changed the bluetooth module? Some people have had issues with alternator whine being picked up by the aux cabling without a ground loop isolator.
Mine doesnt have the bluetooth module on it so cant be that. Ill try get sound recording tomorrow morning on the way to work.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I bit the proverbial bullet and took it to a garage. Turned out to be new brake pads rubbing on the lip of rust on the disc. Cleaned up and noise gone.

Thanks for all the assitance!

Matt

·
Click4 - What will you Click4 today?
1,481 Posts
Well, I bit the proverbial bullet and took it to a garage. Turned out to be new brake pads rubbing on the lip of rust on the disc. Cleaned up and noise gone.

Matt
Why was there a lip? If the disk surface has more than 1mm wear either side (2mm total wear across its thickness - Front Disks) they should of been changed.

Rear disks are less, (1mm wear across total thickness, 0.5mm per side)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Matt
Why was there a lip? If the disk surface has more than 1mm wear either side (2mm total wear across its thickness - Front Disks) they should of been changed.

Rear disks are less, (1mm wear across total thickness, 0.5mm per side)
Not sure for the lip, just going on what the garage advised. He said the front disks were fine and didnt need to be changed. I dont think it was due to disk wear but the layer of rust that built up around the outer diameter of the disk over time and the new pads bedding in possibly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.