Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, iv owned my mondeo for 3 or 4 months now, its coming up to 80,000 on the clock,

At first when i bought it, it was sort of responsive in the acceleration, but after a week i noticed how it accelerated, as i slapped my foot down to pull away the power sort of dissapered but then gradually came back at prob 2000rpm, so after about a month i purchased a induction kit from ebay, the bomz kit. After i fitted it and tried it out i noticed it still has the sloppy pulling power as before but with the nice induction roar. also another wierd power problem came on, as i acclerate past 2500rpm and up the car starts to slow down as if all power had gone then comes back in little steps as if it wants to go but cant, and ill i hear is my induction roaring when it dies and when it tries to go, this happens in all gears when i travel, it does that when im in 4th when i floor it. now a month has gone past after fitting it i then noticed the car starting to judder when i pull away gently and or changing into 2nd or sometimes 3rd, it also judders going in reverse. so i then cleaned the MAF with switch cleaner spray wich evaproates at contact, it then felt abit more confident and pulling away but still the sluggishness was there. i replaced the spark plugs (bosch) to ngk platinum, the piston 1 and 2 spark plug was near enuff had it, but 3 and 4 were resonably ok but deff needed replacing, after that the car still felt the same, no difference was noticable. after a week or 2 the car now seems to have trouble trying to idle correctly but does find the right idle speed (850-900rpm) after it has revd up to 1100rpm down to 300 rpm after 5 or 10 times of doin that. iv also noticed the exhuast tip abit black and spits so i think its running rich as i do often smell fuel either starting or turning off. iv bought a second hand throttle body with throttle sensor attached, planning to replace it this saturday. i wonder if with any hope it will solve this problem. i hope you have a solution to this as im not too sure whats going wrong with it. many thx for the responses to this. steve...

·
MEG Captain
4,788 Posts
chances are if it has been running rich for a while the cat maybe shot :sad:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right ill attempt them 3 if me new spark leads dont help, i think the cause is the leads as i WD40 the connections and seemd to be better at runnin, pulling away, it does on occasions have the power to pull away quick when i slap me foot down, but other times it does struggle to go but finally decides to pull, so all in all its running abit better and idle seems better too, not hunting as much before, iv orderd 8mm leads double silicone, as the regulars are 7mm. i hope theres an improvment to this, i will post on how it goes , thanx for your support :L , steve..

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
iv just relised soming, my old spark plugs 1 and 2 were worn out but 3 and 4 were sorta ok, then that means that cable 3 and 4 are naff, so another bit of support to my theory of the spark leads. i think lol. well thanks again :L steve..

·
Big Megger
200 Posts
i has the same trouble with mine and it was the maf. i was getting loads of soot on the exhaust and it was juddering and would cut out and also smelt of petrol. i unplugged mine and drove about and it cured it. i tried cleaning mine with carb cleaner but it didnt do much i think mine may be knackered inside somewhere.just try unplugging it and take it for a spin and see if you notice a difference

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
right, iv fitted the new leads and seems to be an improvment as i aceelerate away, not so sloppy as b4, and on odd occasions i can only rev up to 4500rpm or at least, so i guess it could be the spark plug gaps too wide, not sure yet, ok im gonna have ago dissconnecting the maf and run to work there n back to see if it has made a difference. i will post l8r on today to say if it made a difference.thanks for the suggestons. :thankyousign: steve..

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OMG dissconnecting the MAF made a huge difference, it was like having a superchip fitted to it :evil: it can now pull away really quick, its unreal, i didnt expect it like that. well now we know its the MAF i now gonna have to buy a new 1. how long can i drive around without it connected?? also how much more improvement will there be when a new 1 is fitted???? :tongue: i did notice that it does sometimes jerk wen i change gear so still not sure whats doin that, maybe i have to look into the engine mounts or soming??? well thanks for the suggeston of dissconnecting the MAF, im really surprised that it affects the running really badly. :thankyousign: steve...

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Well blow me, read this n went n disconnected maf, took car round block n didnt think it wud make a difference, ended up back end out n wheel spinning everywhere theres that much more power, thanks pal :L

Now i gotta replace the maf and lambda
Big thanku :L :L :L :L :L

·
Big Megger
200 Posts
amazing isnt it lol. i was getting peed off with mine and read on another forum about someone unplugging the maf so i tried mine and hey presto it worked. its stupid how you can unplugg something on your car and it still works fine. ive been driving around with it unplugged for a week now, not sure what it does. all i can think is you would get better fuel consumption with a working one fitted but the way mine was before i was probably using 5 quids worth of petrol just going up the road and back cos it seemed to be chocking itself on the petrol. im gonna try cleaning mine with carb cleaner and an artist paint brush first. i cant really knacker it up anymore. i did notice on mine though that one of the prongs was really shinny and the other was dull. glad you worked out what it was

·
MEG Corporal
1,153 Posts
Disconnecting the MAF will increase your fuel consumption.

The wire inside is heated and the airflow over it cools it back down. As the temperature changes, so does the resistance, and thats how it works out how much air is flowing through the MAF (Mass Air Flow)

If you disconnect it, the ECU assumes how much air is bening used by monitoring the Throttle Position Sensor, and sends the required amount of fuel in at the same time.

This is inevitably heavy on fuel because the ECU lost a feedback and cant do its job (saving fuel).

It wont do any damage to disconnect it (except to your fuel bill), but you wont pass MOT.

People have cleaned them in the past, but it didnt work for me. When you re-connect a new one, expect a drop in power again because the car will be burning less fuel.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
YEEAAHH after 2 days of having fun with the MAF dissconnected :tongue: i noticed my MPG was better when i watch me trip computer, i was doing 40mpg at 40mph in 5th witch is roughly 15100rpm, couldnt beleave it, never done that, before it did 19.2 mpg and average was 22.4. and it pulls in all gears, jus loving the car even more now :woot:

·
MEG Corporal
798 Posts
check 4 2nd hand at ebay.
not sure whether they suffer any tear and wear unless damaged.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.