Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Big Megger
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I need some advice. I went out in my mondy this morning on a 37 mile round trip and it started perfect this morning like it does, turned off in Cardiff to park, came back, started lovely drove home, turned off.

Left it about 6 1/2 hours and when I went out to start it, it kinda half caught after a few turns, then died on me, like when you don't hold the key over enough.

Turned the key and she turned for a little bit, then when I lightly touched the throttle she fired, but a bit rough where she was flooded a little. Ran nice, then started after 3 1/2 hrs and seemed to start up OK.

Checked the plugs, leads, filter, oil and all OK start of the week for xmas. Any advice, or could this be normal due to the weather. Only thing I have noticed is that the petrol light seem to illuminate when I start the car after it has gone out after 5 secs, then go back out again.

Thanks and a Merry Xmas to everyone.

·
It was 49.95
10,123 Posts
sounds very much like a bubble of air in the fuel line cud have just caught and caused the problem, i wouldnt be that worried, but the fuel light could be indicative of a faulty fuel guage sender unit, and as you may or may not know, the fuel pump is integrated into the fuel tank sender. I have a spare 2.0 fuel guage sender unit, with fuel pump in the garage if you would like to try it, it's from an Si, so your trip computer may not work with it, but at the end of the day, trip computer could be a small price to pay for a working car!

·
Big Megger
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The car have just done it again this morning, but when turning over the second time, a light touch of the throttle and it starts and seem ok, until you start it a couple of hours later.

What is the chances of dirty petrol causing this, as I had between half and 3/4 of a tank of petrol, and topped it up Thursday to full and have done 70 miles since.

Or is there a cold start valve or something not kicking in, or could the petrol light coming on when starting up be something to do with it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Big Megger
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thelongmile said:
I have a spare 2.0 fuel guage sender unit, with fuel pump in the garage if you would like to try it, it's from an Si, so your trip computer may not work with it, but at the end of the day, trip computer could be a small price to pay for a working car!
Thanks for the offer, but my M8 who owns a garage ain't back till after the New Year, so if the offer of the fuel pump would be valid then, as I am thinking maybe a faulty fuel pump from cold, but could be very wrong, as the car runs lovely.

Also, diesel in with petrol won't cause this, as I am wondering if the pumps were filled wrong, and diesel was in the unleaded pump, as it could be waxing in the fuel lines when cold, though diesel would cause a car to run rough won't it :question:

Also the petrol/diesel in a hypothetical scenario would be a 65% petrol 35% diesel. Any advice on this is appreciated. Thanks.

·
MEG Corporal
866 Posts
Don't rule out your battery. If it is the original one, it will be getting to the end of its life now and the cold weather will take its toll. It may still be cranking your engine over but perhaps not at the optimum speed needed for a clean start

·
Big Megger
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. The car started perfectly since we had the heavy freezing midweek, and saturday morning she fire as she usually does. The engine is catching after a few turns, just seem to be getting no revs to keep it idling, like no choke kicking in on the old type cars.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.