Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Strange starting problem

436 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  marks 
#1 ·
Did an engine swap on a mk2 2.0 blacktop a few months ago, used it for a couple off weeks but then havent used it for a few weeks whilst been at uni. Treid to start it the other day but it wouldn't have it, spun over nice and fast but dint catch at all though it must be flooded by now so put my foot on the floor and it struck up straight away. Took it for a drive and everything was fine except a quite high idle. Turned it off and tried to resart, exact same thing nothing at all till throttle is on the floor.

I since tried it a few more times and it'll only ever start with my foot on the floor, but then it runs fine all except for the high idle. Anyone any thoughts on the problem?

#4 ·
There's nothing to lose from an EEC reset but I don't think it will cure your problem. Are you happy that you have no air leaks? What RPM is it idling at?

#7 ·
Took the battery lead off this afternoon to give it time to reset, ha d a quick look round whilst I was there and it looks as though I've overtightened the plenum chamber nuts as one of the metal studs has snapped off the throttle body :blush:

I'd guess thats whats casuing the air leak a I gave the ISCV a good clean and havent distrubed the inlet manifold or gasket which look original.

As soon as it starts the idle is just under 2000rpm then it gradually drops to around 1300rpm which I guess explains the air leak, never heard of it casue a starting problem tho, anyway we'll see tomorrow :nahnah:

#8 ·
Well I took the throttle body of and managed to glue the metal bar back onto it, even made sure the throttle body O-ring had tigthened down into the plenum chamber.
Put it all back together and it started up fine, revving about 1200rpm, the over the next 10 secs the revs creep upto 1800rpm, the ECU had been reset so I though id leave it for a while, took it for a drive and then everytime I let it idle thye revs stayed at 1800rpm, turned it off and back to the old problem wont start withough full throttle.

Guessing I need a new throttle body then, anyone have one they'd like to sell?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.