Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had lent my car to my mum and when I got it back I noticed it was slow pulling away from a park position, and when I was driving along and change gears the rpm counter was very high then dropped low and there is a noise like someone revving the engine at full capacity. I don't know if people on the street can hear it, but it annoys me.

It's slow going up hills, in first or second gear, worst than a bus and even when I'm in fourth gear it only says I am about 30mph. I haven't even gone in fifth gear as its so slow. When the car isn't in use for a couple of days it works OK, then goes back to its old same way. At traffic lights I do clutch control, so I'm ready to pull away, but it's still slow, like 0-2mph, miss traffic lights, I'm embarrassed sometimes.

Change ping gears is fine, the clutch pedal seems fine but, people overtake me, and even get beeped at because I am driving so slow. I don't know if it was something my mum did, or what the problem could be as it just happened.

It was bought from new in 2005 and has only done just over 24000 mikes.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Any lights come up on the dash. How's the oil level looking. Have a look around the engine bay to start. Check HT leads, make sure nothing's come unplugged. Did your mum put any fuel in it at all

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jim,

Thanks for replying, no lights comes on the dashboard but it recently had its MOT in November and passed and I am sure they top up oil etc...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry Jim, what are HT leads and where will I find them and either my mum or dad would of put unleaded petrol in when I handed it over like I did, thanks.
Sorry Jim, what are HT leads and where will I find them and either my mum or dad would of put unleaded petrol in when I handed it over like I did, thanks.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hi mate. The fuels def not an issue unless it was contaminated at the petrol station. If you can give me details on your car such as year, what size engine or pm me the reg and I'll do you a little picture showing where the HT leads are. HT leads are what go to the spark plugs. Did you say it's fine at first but then runs bad once hot. Sorry to ask so many questions but any clues can help. Has it used any oil or water recently. Any strange smells. Have any of the dials cinch as speedo gone funny at any point. Has the car ever randomly cut out

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not a problem Jim, it's hard when you aren't in front of the car. There are no funny smells just the noise on when I press the clutch do to change the gears it makes the over rev (like when the battery is dead and someone jump starts your car).

The car is fine at the start if I don't use it for three or four days, then it does the same slow moving but it doesn't get hot, only the heater but that's a separate issue (air on, heater value).

If the petrol was contaminated does that make the clutch and gears not work?

My car is a Street KA bought in 2005 1.6 Duratec engine, I hope this helps!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Looking at what your saying sounds like it could be the clutch slipping. So you go to pull away, the revs rise but the car pulls off very slowly. I'd try doing a clutch test but don't do this a lot as it will burn the clutch out - start the car, keep handbrake firmly on and push clutch in. Select 3rd gear. Then Raise the revs with the accelerator. Start to slowly let the clutch out. Keeps the revs steady. The car should stall. If the revs get go up but the car didn't stall then the clutch is worn out. If it stalls straight away the clutch is ok . Then I'd check the HT leads. There will be 4 off them running to the top rear of the engine. Think black rubber leads. All 4 will plug into a small square black box. The box is the coil pack. Check the leads and the coil pack for splits, cracks or general condition. Coil packs are notorious for breaking down on fords. If these appear ok then the next step I'm afraid is to have a diagnostic scan done at a good garage. Cars are full of sensors and things that can go wrong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's not a problem it's hard when you aren't infrint of the car. There is no smell only noise when I press down on the clutch to change gears (like when someone is jump starting your car and revving the engine).

If the petrol got contaminated could that cause the problem with the clutch and gears? I thought it would be the filters.

The car doesn't get hot, that's another issue I have with the Aircon and heater control value, it's when I don't use the car for three or fours days it starts of fine then half way through driving its starts to go slow. The car hasn't cut out on dead battery, and I'd brought a brand new one this year.

My car details are street KA 2005 1.6 Duratec engine. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will try that technique tomorrow morning, if it the clutch does it cost that much too replace and was it cause by something my mum did. Do you suggest that I don't drive the car?

Sorry for the double post my post didn't register but did a refresh screen

·
Registered
999 Posts
Personally if the car is that bad if avoid driving it possible. If something has gone, last thing you want is to cause more damage or problems. Regarding the clutch. I've looked up what others have said and they've varied from £175 to £250. That the cost of the clutch and having it fitted. But again don't quote me on that. Phone around and get some prices. Hopefully your clutch is ok. A diagnostic scan varies from £60-90.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Jim,

I hope you had a good Christmas. it was the clutch it completely went when I was driving the car to my parents so my dad could take it to the garage. Had to get towed.

But I had a look online and I can get a clutch kit, replace everything all at once. Just waiting for the garage to give me a quote.

But thanks for your help! And have a Happy New Year!

·
Registered
999 Posts
That was good going. Doesn't matter how well hi treat it it was go at some point tho :( . Did you get a quote in the end . Where are you from

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At least it's cheaper than buying a new car. My dad is going to take it to the garage, as I think some of them will charge me more, being a woman, like Ford did.

I have see the clutch car kit it on Euro Car parts and on the Ford parts website site for just over £100, but then it's the labour cost on top of that.

I am in South London and the car is now in north London.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The difference is prices regarding the clutch is that the Ford site will be a genuine ford part so they can be more expensive. Euro sell other brands. There usually fine. Only issue I sometimes have with euros is they give me the wrong part. If it's anything like my focus it takes around 2-3 hours to do as the gearbox has to Come off along with drive shafts extra. I wouldn't expect it to come to more than £150-200. Ideally I would have the slave cylinder changed too. This is also inside the gearbox. There not expensive but if the clutch has gone, and bearing in mind the age of the car too it's likely this is also worn/wearing out. If this goes then you'd have to pay to have the gearbox again taken off. I'm not trying to add to your costs but it may cost you more in the long run. Bit like changing the oil but not the filter. If that makes sense

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes the slave cylinder comes with the clutch kit a three piece set. The quote from my dad mechanic was £250 for the labour a 4 hour job. Is that a good price plus the parts? In total I'm looking at £380...

·
I might like Fords
1,691 Posts
Yes the slave cylinder comes with the clutch kit a three piece set. The quote from my dad mechanic was £250 for the labour a 4 hour job. Is that a good price plus the parts? In total I'm looking at £380...
I would say that's the going rate, especially for London.

·
Megger
777 Posts
Sounds about right, I paid £350 about this time last year to have the clutch done in the wife's StreetKa

Reactions: Jim1978
1 - 20 of 21 Posts