Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has come up a few times on here but i need to know how easy it is to remove the bushes from the subframe? Im sure there are one or two people on here who have done it themselves but cant for the life of me remember who? I know to get to them you have to undo one side at a time and lower it down, but when it gets to that stage is it easy enough to prise the old ones out? Im not going down the powerflex route im just replacing them with original Ford parts. Money is just too tight leading up to christmas, otherwise i would take it to a garage and have it done. The original Ford ones are £9 odd plus VAT each. Oh and the bloke on the service desk at Ford also said that it wouldnt need 4 wheel aligning either, unless i was removing the whole subframe which i dont need to do. Although i might have it done anyway if i can afford the extra £40 ive been quoted to have it aligned.

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
Cos it sounds as if im towing a trailer full of scrap metal everytime i go over even the smallest of bumps!! The knocking noise is getting much worse and ive had it up on ramps at my mates place, and everything else is spot on. Only thing left is subframe bushes which look a little frail.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
dont leave it too long or you may need a new subframe as well :(

·
Registered
388 Posts
Did he charge you for looking at it Gav?

Just curious as I wouldn't mind him going over mine to find out what the banging/knocking noise is and at the front when going over a bump and then the thudding when brakes are applied?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Careanla said:

Just curious as I wouldn't mind him going over mine to find out what the banging/knocking noise is and at the front when going over a bump and then the thudding when brakes are applied?
Thats Citroen saying "Change the car ... Chnage the car."

:gayfight:

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
you pull em out with pliers you might want a screwdriver too and you need to clean the metal cylinder bit before fitting new ones thats if you got the poly's of course. you might want to get 20mm roll bar poly's too like i did theyre the mk2 front ones from superflex

·
I'm Bang Tidy
9,548 Posts
I was lucky the whole subframe was changed on mine at 83k,so it says in the sevice file. :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thats Citroen saying "Change the car ... Chnage the car."
I am selling the car in Feb, but I wouldn't mind getting these few problems fixed for the new buyer...

My brother-in-law has just bought a 96Landrover disc for £1800 and am thinking of getting one too... only time will tell, either that or a Focus.

·
MEG Corporal
1,091 Posts
if they've gone they are easy to remove .had 2 gone that nearly fell out other 2 had to be changed as well but were a bugger to get out

·
Gavin T
9,319 Posts
Careanla said:

Nah he never charged me mate, not for just looking at it. He phoned around and said he could either get the bushes seperatley or theres a place down the road from me, that does complete exchange subframes for £140. I just cant see the point of that at all, cos then it will need aligning and plus its a much, MUCH bigger job to change the whole lot!

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
[quote name=TDCi 160+]Thats what im worried about! Undoing it all and lowering one side of the subframe down at a time, only to find i cant get the swines out![/quote]

just do one at a time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.