Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone ive only just joined the group I've got a 65 plate mondeo 1.5 tdci econetic I'm looking at some tasteful mods for my car im looking at having it chipped to 140bhp from 118bhp more because it feels slow from a stand still (expected with a diesel) maybe an exhaust nothing too mad just bigger wheels as I've got 16s and they look lost in the arches maybe 18s not boy racer type just subtle mods to make it my car if you know what I mean any help or advise would be appreciated thanks

·
Big Megger
3,044 Posts
Hi everyone ive only just joined the group I've got a 65 plate mondeo 1.5 tdci econetic I'm looking at some tasteful mods for my car im looking at having it chipped to 140bhp from 118bhp more because it feels slow from a stand still (expected with a diesel) maybe an exhaust nothing too mad just bigger wheels as I've got 16s and they look lost in the arches maybe 18s not boy racer type just subtle mods to make it my car if you know what I mean any help or advise would be appreciated thanks
You're better asking on the MK5 general forum rather than here.
More MK5 owners will see it there.

·
8 gears or more please
TrevorB BMW320 M Sport 2020 M Sport Pro Pack. Tech Pack (Head Up Display)
5,458 Posts
Hmmmm, officially/legally, for insurance purposes, you should not be changing anything on that car. It is an "econetic" model, hence it's spec re wheel and tyre size, engine output etc etc.
It is only "homologated" by Ford to operate in its original build specification.
These vehicles are also not homologated for towing either as that would also destroy the reason for their build spec and description.
Other manufactures produce "econetic" versions of their own models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm, officially/legally, for insurance purposes, you should not be changing anything on that car. It is an "econetic" model, hence it's spec re wheel and tyre size, engine output etc etc.
It is only "homologated" by Ford to operate in its original build specification.
These vehicles are also not homologated for towing either as that would also destroy the reason for their build spec and description.
Other manufactures produce "econetic" versions of their own models.
I have spoken with a few "remap" companies who say it is " our map would be undetectable by insurance or main dealers as its custom to the car as such would still hold original file with vin number and other megadata" I know most car producers always leave extra horses due to continent its driving on fuel type there and such like I'm not going 5oobhp at all no more than 150bhp depends if I have to have egr dpf delete that im not going down the route of yet??

·
8 gears or more please
5,458 Posts
I am only pointing out the official, legal, call it what you want, situation re your "econetic" spec vehicle.
Strictly speaking, if you make any changes to things you are mentioning, your insurance is null and void.
Your comments even suggest you are not going to tell your insurance company, or even ask them first, about applying a remap or changing wheel or tyre sizes.
When you apply for insurance you are asked if your veh has been modified or not. What are you going to say?
Unfortunately if you want to make any changes you should not have purchased an econetic spec vehicle, sorry, just advising the legality of things

Reactions: tellmah

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive already purchased the
I am only pointing out the official, legal, call it what you want, situation re your "econetic" spec vehicle.
Strictly speaking, if you make any changes to things you are mentioning, your insurance is null and void.
Your comments even suggest you are not going to tell your insurance company, or even ask them first, about applying a remap or changing wheel or tyre sizes.
When you apply for insurance you are asked if your veh has been modified or not. What are you going to say?
Unfortunately if you want to make any changes you should not have purchased an econetic spec vehicle, sorry, just advising the legality of things
I've already purchased the vehicle and as it stands at the moment totally standard apart from dashcam and tracker no modifications if I do make modifications of course I'll tell my insurer as I've got 16" standard alloys would i also need to tell them if I went for 18" but still standard alloys not off the shelf and of course get speedo recalibrated.

·
8 gears or more please
5,458 Posts
Whatever veh one has, they are required to tell the ins company of any mods.
However, with an econetic model it is even more complicated as these spec vehicles are only "Homologated" to the spec they are built to by the manufacurer.
For example a non econetic Mondeo with original 18" wheels can legally be fitted with19" wheels (providing you tell the ins company) as the model can be specified with 19" wheels when buying new.
An econetic spec model, made by any manufacturer, is what it is.
If you want to stay legal, and be deffo insured, I would phone your insurers and get confirmation first.
By the way, ANY remap can be identified, if required by an investigator, should it be of interest following a SERIOUS accident. Best of luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whatever veh one has, they are required to tell the ins company of any mods.
However, with an econetic model it is even more complicated as these spec vehicles are only "Homologated" to the spec they are built to by the manufacurer.
For example a non econetic Mondeo with original 18" wheels can legally be fitted with19" wheels (providing you tell the ins company) as the model can be specified with 19" wheels when buying new.
An econetic spec model, made by any manufacturer, is what it is.
If you want to stay legal, and be deffo insured, I would phone your insurers and get confirmation first.
By the way, ANY remap can be identified, if required by an investigator, should it be of interest following a SERIOUS accident. Best of luck
Thanks for the information much appreciated 👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts