Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Conversmod & Powermod UK Install & Support
2016 Mondeo mk5 Titanium 2.0 TDCI 180ps
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've had this annoying problem on my car for some time now (2.0 140) - when i accelerate hard under load, the car seems to surge i get a few seconds of acceleration, then it evens off, and repeats until I lift off the accelerator again. sometimes if i press hard down and it happens, i take my foot off the accelerator and press again and it goes away - but most of the time it doesn't!

I've replaced the DMF and clutch, power steering assembly - pump, rack, reservoir etc - and now i've just updated the BCM and PCM to the latest firmware and calibrations from Ford. the last job seems to have cured the cold start take off hesitation, but the surging is still there.

Can anyone suggest what it might be? driving me nuts now!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I have the same issue, but not all the time. Haven't yet worked out what the issue is. MAF/MAP, fuel pressure, DPF pressure etc all look fine.

Need to do a high resolution data capture with Forscan + usb adapter though. I suspect using Torque + bluetooth adapter the refresh rate is too low to capture the right data points when the issue happens.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine does it sometimes. Feels almost like a misfire. Only under full throttle and under load. It is bloody annoying and I'm sure will be almost impossible to pinpoint. ????

·
Registered
174 Posts
It will probably be your turbo boost solenoid. Do you hear buzzing sounds when you turn off your engine?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i do - but i did replace them about 2 years ago - both of them....

·
Scientits
151 Posts
Could it be a blocked fuel filter? I have seen this symptom on a Volvo and it surged when the fuel was enough to pressurise under sufficient load. The ECU cuts back the engine if there is just enough fuel and then when the pressure is there it surges because the ECU is already compensating for a lack of fuel intake. It may be worth checking perhaps.

·
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the suggestion - i did replace this but made no difference sadly.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I second what carguy has said. I had the moosing noise and the hesitation. Changing the EVR cured both faults. You could try swapping the EGR and Turbo EVR's and see if it makes a difference.

Fuel filters are also suspect, just because you have changed it doesn't mean that you don't have contaminants in your tank which could block your new one.

·
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've replaced the EVR - that has cured the "dying duck" sound in my engine bay when i turn off :) unfortunately the surging is still there. whats infuriating is that it doesn't always happen, only sometimes, and if i take my foot off and back on again it seems to disappear! If it was fuel contaminant i would have thought it would be happening regularly?

·
Scientits
151 Posts
Could it be the throttle position sensor? This is relatively cheap and easy to replace. If the ECU gets incorrect feedback about the throttle position it will tend to throttle up as it catches to the next position it can read which causes an apparent surge in power.

I recall having the same symptom on my old Sierra XR4x4 and found a note that I replaced the MAF air sensor on this though. But that was a V6 petrol 2.9 litre and was a bit scary when it surged foward.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Could it be the throttle position sensor? This is relatively cheap and easy to replace. If the ECU gets incorrect feedback about the throttle position it will tend to throttle up as it catches to the next position it can read which causes an apparent surge in power.

I recall having the same symptom on my old Sierra XR4x4 and found a note that I replaced the MAF air sensor on this though. But that was a V6 petrol 2.9 litre and was a bit scary when it surged foward.
Not as far as I can tell. Throttle position stays at 97%+ when flooring it.

·
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks mate - i did replace both of them originally, but i've only replaced the turbo EVR this time - i will try it tho!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts