Ford Automobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
No worries and thanks. Unfortunately, it returns a Not Found result! Evidently my car does not exist!

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks. Now see that it was entirely my mistake; my VIN begins with WF05... I entered WE !!!!! And continued to try WE every time !!!! A real bozo moment.

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,163 Posts
In searching for these and other parts, i am getting my knickers in a twist.

One ebay web site, lists so many track control arms that look right, but they are all Mk3 2.2 or 3.0 04 to 07 REBA (what is REBA?). Trying to find a 20. TDCI on this site involves endless scrolling, only to see the same things again and again, and all say, not compatible. Surely Ford would not have made dozens of slightly different control arms for every engine size, diesel or petrol and year? It does not make sense. Why would a Mk3 2.2D 04 to 07 not fit a 2003 2.0 TDCI?
I don’t think Ford made ‘dozens’ of slightly different arms.
But they did make different ones :)

The holes you mention are probably for fixing the headlight levelling sensors for xenon headlights.

The sensors are front left, but maybe that photo was revered around the horizontal, or the company just made symmetrically matching arms :)

I don’t have a pic of the levelling sensor, but this pic shows the loom going towards it.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Clever Clauggs
4,389 Posts
The compatibility table sometimes says no when its the right part,best email the seller to check and if its wrong part sent, the blame rests with the seller.

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Seller told me that the eBay compatibility chart is supplied from a different web site and is not so accurate. Have bought a pair of front control arms with new bolts.

Why should one use new bolts?

Now to look for a set of rear arms and bolts; again, why new bolts?

·
Clever Clauggs
4,389 Posts
Using new bolts makes it easier if you need to remove them in future,older bolts will have wear and corrosion, more chances of rounding heads, also cosmetic look of a nice repair job.
Recently found my original caliper carrier bolts,after reusing few times rounded off,at this late stage in the cars life all new bolts and wondered why i did not replace with new sooner.

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I just rinse them in botox for a nice cosmetic look!

Have to admit that I though it was perhaps they loose some of their structural integrity. But the wishbones will come with new, so job done. As I'm considering cutting the hydro bolt head so that I can remove from the bottom, that would definitley require a new bolt.

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Have just taken delivery of the two front control arms and have a couple of questions. My existing (probably original Ford factory fitted) do not have any holes in them but the new ones have three on the top and two on the bottom. Whilst not a problem as such, i can see water splashing inside and causing rust. Is there something I can do? Seal the top with some kind of plastic plug?

Other versions shown on eBay do not have the holes in the top; don't know if they have holes in the bottom. i bought this set because not so expensive (£80 a Pair) and they came with the bolts.

Bicycle part Tire Rim Auto part Font
Automotive tire Hood Tire Bumper Material property

So neither mp4, mpg or avi files will attach!!! Message says the files do not have an allowed extension.
In both the hydro bush and pivot bush, the bolt has around a 1mm movement when I would have though it would be a tight (ish) fit. Is this correct? Loose rather than tight?

·
Super Moderator
30,019 Posts
Nah you need to upload to youtube and insert the URL for the video it will then show in the post.

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Thanks. never put anything on YouTube before; a learning curve. Presumably, it would be the same with DropBox?

Should the bolt be so loose? My feeling is no as this is a suspension part and everything should be tight.

·
Dash cams, catch 'em out :)
13,163 Posts
If those holes are the standard 4.6-4.8mm Ford us for fixings you could fill them with pop rivets.
the headlight sensors that I think go in those fixing positions are secured with pop rivets

·
Super Moderator
30,019 Posts
You put a link to your youtube creator/editor not the actual video URL.

I tried editing it for you but it still does not work.

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
As I said, a learning curve. In fact, I have no idea how I go from putting something on YT to giving a URL.. Is not the URL the same as just copying the http address?

Try again

I know that there is an upper and lower 'holder' which is part of the subframe, and perhaps the holes in that are the same as the bolt diameter, but surely the hydro bush should not be this loose? This could be the difference between a thump as one goes over a bump or no thump.

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Read my Google search results, they should be 'shouldered' bolts, which those supplied are not. But cannot find if this is correct or not.

I do recall whne replacing the rear subframe bushes and bolts, that they were shouldered (waisted) but these will allow the control arm to move. I do understand that once the bolt is torqued, the sleeve will clamp everything, but if there is the chance of the arm moving, my guess is, it will.

·
Little Megger
4,501 Posts
Hi, I renewed my bolts when I changed my n/s lower arm with genuine Ford ones. I think I've still got the old ones so I'll take a look when the rain stops and report back here...

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks. The supplied bolts are 12mm but the hydro bush sleeve is close to 13mm. On the other hand, the
pivot sleeve is correct in that the bolt is a good, not loose fit.

Calipers Automotive tire Finger Measuring instrument Gauge

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
As usual, too much reading and getting my knickers in a twist. Just read that in lowering the sub-frame to remove the hydro bush bolt, the steering can receive too much strain so should be disconnected first.

Not seen this before but is it so?

21 - 40 of 70 Posts