Ford Automobiles Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Interesting. The only time I did a CV was on my original Mini and therr are balls within the housing. If it did pop out, is it just fiddle around until the tripod goes back into place?

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
From what I have been reading when applying torque to the hydro bush bolt and front bolts, the car should be weighted. With the wheels on the ground and no pit, that is virtually impossible. Can they be accessed with the car on ramps?

But to get the car on the ramps, it is necessary to tighten the bolts, before replacing the wheels and putting on the ramps. Is it OK to do this without having fully torqued the bolts?

·
Super Moderator
30,019 Posts
Spring clamps, just compress the springs an inch or two and that will give you plenty of space to
fit the lower arm without flexing the bush too much.

·
Resident Wrestling Legend
4,055 Posts
From what I have been reading when applying torque to the hydro bush bolt and front bolts, the car should be weighted. With the wheels on the ground and no pit, that is virtually impossible. Can they be accessed with the car on ramps?

But to get the car on the ramps, it is necessary to tighten the bolts, before replacing the wheels and putting on the ramps. Is it OK to do this without having fully torqued the bolts?
i tend to use a couple of bricks under the wheel to give you a bit more height in order to access the bolts
but that was before i went poly adjustable spherical bearing

·
Megger
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Thanks for the replies. Spring compressors; another tool to buy.

Because my bolts can be release without dropping the s-f, I don't think 'space' is the issue, it is accessing the top nut to prevent the bolt rotating while torquing. Will think about lifting the arm at the ball joint end with the jack while the axle stand is still in place. But will also investigate access using bricks before doing the job.

What is a 'poly adjustable spherical bearing ?'

·
Mondeo Lover
846 Posts
to load the suspension use another jack to jack up under the disc or balljoint, or put bricks under the balljoint and lower the jack, all you want to do is have the weight on it so that when you tighten the bushes will be in the right position, if you tighten with no load on then the bushes will twist when the car is lowered to the ground.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hi

You can assemble everything, drive onto your ramps. Slacken bolts allowing bushes to relax then re-tighten bolts. You will then have locked suspension in operating position.

Peter

·
Resident Wrestling Legend
4,055 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Spring compressors; another tool to buy.

Because my bolts can be release without dropping the s-f, I don't think 'space' is the issue, it is accessing the top nut to prevent the bolt rotating while torquing. Will think about lifting the arm at the ball joint end with the jack while the axle stand is still in place. But will also investigate access using bricks before doing the job.

What is a 'poly adjustable spherical bearing ?'
these

they don't limit the angle of the bush movement
but having reread your original post i do have to warn you about the tripod joint needle bearings
don't let them come out as you'll need an entire shaft again as you can't get them separately
i've rebuilt mine after this issue but otherwise it's a £500 shaft from ford to replace

61 - 70 of 70 Posts