Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, the coil was broken of my 2002 mondeo , so i renew the coils in the frond and also want to renew de suspension strut support ad the bearing. On my old suspension strut support is an arrow wich way the strut must be placed (front and back wards) but on the new one of monroe there is no arrow. Wich way does I have to mount it?
Automotive tire Gas Metal Auto part Circle

Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim

·
I Love Diesel
2,577 Posts
I would base it on the lug on the same side as the arrow. It seems to be consistent on all the pictures I've seen.

·
Resident Wrestling Legend
4,122 Posts
i had this on my fiesta recently, there's a lug that sticks out in your pictures, thats the bit that goes on the outside

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies. There are 2 pieces of them in the box, 1 for the left side and 1 for the right side. How can I determinate which one is to the left and wich to the right or doesn't matter and are the reverseble?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It will be a hell of a job to put the shockabsorber back in the car because I cant loosen the ball joint of the control arm. Any tricks or tips?
I tried yesterday evening. First I took the shockabsorber and bolted it on the car with the 3 bolts of the suspension strut support. I bend the control arm downwards but it is still not low enough.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
on picture 2 I see your clamps are to long so are mine but on picture 3 you have the clamps the other way but can not undo them because the mechanism is in the wheelwell to loosen the clamps. How do you undo the clamps?

·
Little Megger
4,903 Posts
How did you get it off in the 1st place? You have to lower the subframe a lot! But don't lower it on the fixing bolts you must place jacks under the subframe using blocks or planks of wood between the jack and the subframe, then raise the jack(s) tight up to the sframe, then loosen the bolts on the side opposite to what you're working on, and completely remove the bolts on the side you're working on, then slowly lower the jack - you also have to disconnect the clips holding some pipes across the front sframe member - it'll be obvious when you try lowering the sframe anyway. When you raise the sframe again, DO NOT raise it by screwing up the bolts!
You must use the jacks until the sframe is hard up against the underside of the car, THEN screw up the bolts. I recommend you to grease the threads 1st, btw.
If you do lower the sframe by the bolts, then you'll find that the captive nuts inside the body will sheer causing you much grief!

·
Little Megger
4,903 Posts
What you must not do is strain the rubber bushes on the wishbone, 'cos they're oil filled (not just solid rubber) and you risk rupturing them if you strain them too much

·
Clever Clauggs
4,876 Posts
I jacked up the knuckle and hand tightened the clamp threads upside down to get strut off.
Using the clamps upside down when refitting don't fully clamp the spring so when you jack
the knuckle up the pressure is off the clamps, the threaded bolt can then be loosened off by hand.
Easiest way but dangerous is clamp spring fully and tie it with rope remove the clamps and the whole strut more or less just slips back into the knuckle no need to drop subframe or remove brakes but you must support the knuckle so not to damage the wishbone bushes.

·
Clever Clauggs
4,876 Posts
I don't cut the rope if i don't have to.
When clamps are released the rope stretches a centimetre, slip spring into position and jack up from underneath, rope tension is released and with shoelace knots pull the rope and you can untie rope without any twanging force as spring is in correct position.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts