Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Here is the storyline, SMAX 2010, TDCI, 250K km
The car ran fine, perhaps a little more smoke than normal when it was floored. Under the hood, on the left side, there was some oil leaking (image below)

The turbo was making a higher pitch when spooling, so I took it in and was advised it was in due for services. It was swapped in full and then mounted to the engine.
As soon as it was swapped, the engine lost power and went into limp mode. The computer diagnostic was P2263

So far 3 different mechanics have had great ideas but no solutions, but yes if you are wondering they asked for payment of their services...... :mad:

Any insight would be very very helpful.

Cheers Smax gang!

·
Super Moderator
30,019 Posts
Variable vane turbo with sticking vanes? Thats what that code usually popped up for.

Did they swap the turbo? Was the turbo a branded new one or a refurb/used one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Variable vane turbo with sticking vanes? Thats what that code usually popped up for.

Did they swap the turbo? Was the turbo a branded new one or a refurb/used one?
[email protected]:

It was a refurb to new/swap.
I just pulled both these videos this morning, I'm sending them via gdrive because I can't upload videos via this page.

Video 1 (link) - Not sure the pressure is too high?

Video 2, When I turn the engine off, ti get these noises, and then I think they left an angry mob of mice with pots and pans inside the engine.

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,288 Posts
Do these engines have throttle bodies? Sounds like it's closed which is why you get the turbo flutter when turning the engine off.

This would also lead to overboost when running.

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,288 Posts
Read this..

Especially because this was just after a service

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys, back with an update... So things I did to the car and still the turbo does not engage.
1. Replaced the EGR cooler (the old one had a leak and had to go)
2. Removed the complete EGR and cleaned in with industrial cleaner, sat 48hrs in solutions,.it's now shiny and back to new, no carbon deposits.
3. Dropped the catalytic converter, and also cleaned it with industrial sat 48hrs in solutions, it's now clean and back to new.
4. Dropped the intercooler and flushed it as well
5. Replaced the 4 glow plugs
6. Removed all 4 injectors and had them serviced.

We dropped the turbo and I took it back to the seller, he told me it was OEM and in perfect condition. (We suspected the
It's a Ford - SMAX 1.8 TDCI, 2010, and the current turbo (new swapped) part number is the following, 7G9Q-6K682-BD, 763647-21s/n NBY Q 2417 I (picture attached)
I don't have the old part number of the last body. I have looked at the part online and its crosses over fine, BUT maybe there is something I'm not seeing.

Put all the parts back together, and the engine turned over just fine and purrs like a little kitten, BUT the turbo does not engage. At this point, I can only "ass-ume" it's not a mechanical issue, but more an electrical.
We plugged the computer and got no error this time.

The only thing that I have is the following video (video attached) when I took the turbo shop, we opened it and I was able to film where the variable geometry fins make a little noise.

So that is where I'm at...

Plagiarizing a little from Star Wars
Help me FORUM (obi wan kenobi) you're my only hope!

Cheers to all!!! thanks for your time!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts