Ford Automobiles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody heard anything regarding being able to download your own software updates for Sync2, at home as is the case in USA? The Ford web site said it was coming soon, but that appears to have gone. Is it possible to update anything without a visit to a dealer?
I did contact Ford at the end of 2015 and they said it was in the pipeline. Coming from where? Russia!
Also anyone got any tips on sat nav updates?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes the updates can now be done in the UK as many people have done this

!!!!! DO THIS AT YOUR ON RISK !!!!!​

After a lot of searching, reading and translating, I came across direct links to Ford servers hosting the official EU upgrade files for Sync 2. No need to sign up to the Ford India website, just download, extract to the root of a FAT32 formatted USB stick and away you go.

I did use the Ford India website to determine which language pack matches to my VIN for use in the UK. It shouldn't really matter as all EU language packs include British English, but I get a bit OCD so wanted to know which one Ford would use. That turned out to be Language Pack 5.

I have read that you may need a minimum of the F4 SD card or newer, however everyone with Sync 2 in the EU should have F4 following the recall (if you have Nav fitted).

Here is the full list of the Oct 15 update, if you are not from the UK, but another EU country, you need to make sure you download the correct language pack to include the language you want to be able to speak (and have spoken) to the car in:

Language Pack 1 - German, English (British), Russian, Turkish:

http://ivsu.binaries.ford.com/swparts/Gen2v38build15128updatepackageEULangpack1Rev2.zip

Language Pack 2 - German, English (British), Polish, Russian:

http://ivsu.binaries.ford.com/swparts/Gen2v38build15128updatepackageEULangpack2Rev2.zip

Language Pack 3 - German, English (British), French, Italian:

http://ivsu.binaries.ford.com/swparts/Gen2v38build15128updatepackageEULangpack3Rev2.zip

Language Pack 4 - German, English (British), French, Swedish:

http://ivsu.binaries.ford.com/swparts/Gen2v38build15128updatepackageEULangpack4Rev2.zip

Language Pack 5 - English (British), Spanish, French, Portuguese:

http://ivsu.binaries.ford.com/swparts/Gen2v38build15128updatepackageEULangpack5Rev2.zip - This is the one I used

Language Pack 6 - German, English (British), French, Dutch:

http://ivsu.binaries.ford.com/swparts/Gen2v38build15128updatepackageEULangpack6Rev2.zip

US/NA Only (for our cousins across the pond):

http://ivsu.binaries.ford.com/swparts/Gen2v38build15128updatepackageNARev2.zip

Once you have downloaded and extracted the zip to the root of a USB drive (min 2GB formatted as FAT32), you need to remove all other USB sticks/devices from the ports on the car (Nav SD can be left in), then start the engine and turn off auto/stop start. Plug the USB in and it should auto detect the update files, then just follow the on screen instructions. You need to give yourself at least 30 mins for the update to install, in that time you can drive the car, but remember that anything normally displayed on the screen will not be available (rear view cam, sensor distance, etc.).
Credits to alexp999 from http://www.fordownersclub.com/

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I did see your thread elsewhere, but would prefer an official update as the car is still under warranty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah I understand but this is the way the dealership will do it!

I just got my car back (mondeo mk5 with sync2) and they updated for me but only because I had MANY problems this is the same version they used! They told me to update it they would charge it's something like 1 hour labour plus and upgrade fee!

Ford in the USA allow there customers to do this I have no idea why the uk don't have the option to as its already there! Maybe in the near future ford will support DIY.

Also I know a lot of people who have followed the above with no problems! (From a different forum)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers, yes I know the Americans can do theirs on line, seems we are always 5 years behind. I will have a think on the update.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those above are official but from India apparently. No official EU ones, unless you go to the dealership and pay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine is a 2014 November registered car, which I bought through Ford direct last September. It was serviced before I bought it. Not sure what difference the updates would make if any and if its worth the hassle?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Any official downloads about?
They are the official links just ford have not released them to the public

Those above are official but from India apparently. No official EU ones, unless you go to the dealership and pay.
They are the EU ones, the India website was just to confirm the language packs, ford release different packs for different counties in the EU, and the India website was used for reference

Mine is a 2014 November registered car, which I bought through Ford direct last September. It was serviced before I bought it. Not sure what difference the updates would make if any and if its worth the hassle?
Mine was an early 2015 Mondeo the update has made the radio more responsive, the voice commands work a little better but not always, the nav (if you have nav) has definitely improved its quicker and now says the right roads and does not seem to be confused like sometimes before, for iPhone uses it adds Siri hands free (do anything with Siri send a message read messages get directions all by talking to Siri iPhones only tho! And if your phone disconnects it will not auto reconnect!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that. I don't use an I phone so wouldn't make any difference to me, but the nav improvements are interesting. Is there any chance the warranty would be void if used, even if "official"?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have just had a check on my car and I noted in the earlier post the nav should be f4. Mine is f2. I bought the car in September 15 and is a face lifted November 14 focus. Should my nav be at f4, if so will the dealership update it?

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
you will likely have to pay for the latest SD card for the car (f5 is the current just i think), that will not be a free upgrade, as Ford have to pay for the maps to go onto the SD card for the Nav systems.

can't remember the cost off the top of my head, but it should be around £80 - 100 and it needs to be paired with the cars system/serial number -- so if you see the £30 offers from eBay (other auction sites are available!), be aware, its not just a plug in play job.

·
Big Megger
466 Posts
it needs to be paired with the cars system/serial number -- so if you see the £30 offers from eBay (other auction sites are available!), be aware, its not just a plug in play job.
I don't think this is correct about pairing, never been metioned anywhere else on any forum I've seen, Ford sent mine through the post to my house and I just put in my car myself, worked fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK thanks for the reply. Seems a bit of a minefield for the non tech savvy person. I am not a technophobe by any stretch but it's hard to find definitive information and Ford themselves are not too forthcoming.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I have downloaded the update as per instructions unzipped and placed in root of usb but car says file not found.

Can you please help further? Apologies - i'm quite IT minded but can't get this to work. Having no track names over bluetooth on 2014 fiesta i have just purchased is doing my head in!

·
Registered
493 Posts
3.08 or which one?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts