Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all, Ii hope that you can help. Im new to this forum but have never had a problem with the car to warrant it. I have a 06 2.0 tdci duratorq. 87500 miles and service history. The wife was driving the car home this evening ( a 2 mile trip) and noticed a nasty burning smell coming from what we through was the brakes (more dust on the drivers side wheel than the near side).

Took the wheel off, brakes ok. BUT I noticed a what can only be described as a sticky plastic rubber tar type substance that smelt strongly like burning rubber. This was on the chassis rail and wishbone in a line, small amounts dotted elsewhere.

Pulled the cover off that covers the crankshaft pulley, the gunge is localised from behind the pulley. What is it? there is no oil loss, the oil is still on the max and was changed with a flush in the last 4-6 months ( and previously 5 months before that) Oil is not smelling burnt, not burning any oil ( other that Diesel) no emulsion in the water or oil, no lights on, sounds and runs absolutely fine.

Any ideas on what this could be, or be the start of. It iis out daily car so I need to get it sorted asap. Its not what id expect from a seal blown, maybe im wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chas

·
dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and
3,336 Posts
Evening all, Ii hope that you can help. Im new to this forum but have never had a problem with the car to warrant it. I have a 06 2.0 tdci duratorq. 87500 miles and service history. The wife was driving the car home this evening ( a 2 mile trip) and noticed a nasty burning smell coming from what we through was the brakes (more dust on the drivers side wheel than the near side).
Took the wheel off, brakes ok. BUT I noticed a what can only be described as a sticky plastic rubber tar type substance that smelt strongly like burning rubber. This was on the chassis rail and wishbone in a line, small amounts dotted elsewhere.

Pulled the cover off that covers the crankshaft pulley, the gunge is localised from behind the pulley. What is it? there is no oil loss, the oil is still on the max and was changed with a flush in the last 4-6 months ( and previously 5 months before that) Oil is not smelling burnt, not burning any oil ( other that Diesel) no emulsion in the water or oil, no lights on, sounds and runs absolutely fine.

Any ideas on what this could be, or be the start of. It iis out daily car so I need to get it sorted asap. Its not what id expect from a seal blown, maybe im wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chas
Have you checked the auxiliary belt for any imperfections? It sounds like a pulley bearing may be tight or seized or your alternatir pulley bearing so it's causing the belt to slip and melt. That would cause the smell and the tar like substance

·
mr grumpy
721 Posts
Check the engine mount:
They're oil filled..maybe its leaking and seaping downwards:.

If it was Auxbelt: ID think you wouid hear it squeal..perhaps even worse if aircon was on:
Still worth checking the belt for a frayed edge tho..

Is it fitted with an undertray?
If no then perhaps some crud or ming off the road as been splatterd upwards..

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Another possibility -- Ive never heard of this happening but the crank pulley has a rubber buffer between inner and outer. Wonder if this has somehow got very hot or shed a lump that got trapped and melted. Grasping at straws... Welcome to the forum by the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies, As an update..... apparently there is a bush type thing as part of the pulley, this came loose and got caught between the pulley and the block.... now fixed with a new pulley :) they did notice that the sping had boke though..... :-(

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Thanks for the update, one to remeber, guess i can delete the bit about never heard of it hppening. All info helps the next guy, so thnks and glad you got it sorted. :)

Reactions: Cha581

·
Registered
358 Posts
Happened to my last Mondeo, fitted a cheap pulley, the glue and the rubber melted and flicked everywhere as the outer part moves freely around the inner part. Can be very messy!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Unusual bit of design. Usually drives have some sort of mechanical "last ditch" that keeps things moving when the rubber goes, even if very noisy...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Terrible design! Good old vetech. Embarrassing thing was by the time the breakdown arrived, the glue had obviously set as it cooled so all appeared OK. But after about 5 mins of running, the belt stopped but you could see the centre turning nicely.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Ive wondered if it might be possible to refill the bonding layer. Sounds like on cheap one the answer is yes. Was it simply like a ring round a can or did something ar least stop it from falling off comoletely?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Oh they had thought ahead that much, it stayed assembled ok! Couldn't pop the middle out of the pulley. They just failed to design the rest of it properly... Wonder if anyone has ever tried a solid pulley? Sure I read someone had welded it solid but never caught up to see how long it lasted/long term implications.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I remember reading about that too. I think it would have been ok if combined with an overrun clutched pulley on the alternator. Vw used a solid pulley on low powered variants of their tdi without a clutched alternator, but added it for the 110bhp version and up. Clutch definitly made for smoother ruñning. Not sure what long term effects of solid crank pulley would be; increased vibration but possible it might affect crank and dmf too i guess...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts