Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Mondeo TDCI 130 which has done about 44k miles. About a week ago it started cutting out about 10-15 minutes into a journey. It is fine before it cuts out. It restarts and is fine for the rest of the journey (on one occasion it took a while to restart). If I am on a motorway at that point in the journey it seems to be fine. It has happened 5 times now.
It would be great if anyone could offer any assistance.
Thanks

·
Big Megger
261 Posts
Do you get the flashing glow plug light when it cuts out? Cutting out and taking a while not to start is indicative of the cam sensor, I had the one on my car go, same age as yours similar mileage too.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Gizmo said:
Yep, same here...camshaft sensor and the wiring. Not expensive to fix you'll be pleased to know! Takes Ford a while to find the problem though...
Is it just one of those things, or is it something that "corrodes" and could be pre-emptively fixed if spotted early? I don't really fancy losing all power when I'm tanking along a motorway :}

Chris

·
Registered
783 Posts
TBH Chris I dont know. Mine died the first day I drove it so just got Ford to sort it out. From what I have read on other sites, the sensor is a common problem. Bout £14 for the sensor and another £7ish for the wiring so may be worth doing to be on the safeside.

I can dig out the finis codes if anyones interested!

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. Not sure if this is the same on my car as I must admit I was more concerned with getting the engine restarted than looking at the glow plug light. On my car, it definitely only happens as the engine is warming up and once it is hot there are no further problems. Was this the same on yours?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.