Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Megger
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

55reg 110,000 miles TDCI similar problem to some other posts here.

Last week noticed i had an intermitttent loss of power when accelerating aboot 2000rpm. Thought it could be EGR related and was going to have it off (oooh vicar) on sunday for a good clean and function check.

This morning (-12'c) attempting to drive to work and the car died a few times, each time when under fairly light acceleration. Glow plug light was flashing and engine managment light is on. restarting the car managed to get me a mile or so. i repeated this the 3 miles home and got a taxi to work.

The car restarted easy enough.

Tommorow I have a day to play with the car.
Planning to change the diesel filter
look for leaks around the injectors
look for leaks on the vacuum pipes
perform a leak off check on the injectors

I have a OBD tool which returned the p0251 error code and can give realtime info so i could check the fuel pressure vs accelerator position too.

I have read some topics on here but would be greatful for any tips or other things i should look into.

Thanks
Dave

·
Megger
201 Posts
Try changing the fuel filter for a ford, delphi or Bosch one. Just done that on mine and seems to have cured it, although i also checked the electrical connections to the injectors and pressure sensor. I had the same code as you P0251.

Fingers crossed all is on with mine now, but i guess we will see. I only have 54k on mine.

·
Megger
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Changed the filter this morning, cut open the old one and it is in pretty good condition.
The fuel i drained from the filter has been standing about 8 hours and shows no evidence of water

Done a 50 mile test drive (got a bit carried away) and the car is running normally.

Which leaves me a little confused as to the cause of the problem. With no water evident in the fuel I would not expect the fuel itself to freeze, and the injection system should have no troble operating at far colder temps.

·
MEG Corporal
5,689 Posts
the injection system would have no prob.opperating in cold temp.. that last sentence it in error im afraid these motor a have very difficlut time in cold weather as im putting it down mainly to the cold temps. it would be hard to explain otherwise the amount of similar complaints to this forum . we in the western isles of europe have had reasonabley high temps.. this winter compared to other years but in the last weeks the temp has plumeted and so the complaints have risen .exactly like yours in some cases. Its good for you that you have had some sucess by changing out the filter and yes the filter can become extreemly cold and if the element which is a typel of paper element has water content which it is bound to have as it all diesel had a propensity to some distillate water then the filter ielement will hold some and when the slightly denser fuel because of cold . gets to the filter then the filter is going to be like a resistance in the fuel flow pressure ..especially in a motor wich is relying on the vaccume from the injection pump .. this is going to be a contributary factor . so the ford filter has a better qualith filter and i know it sounds strange but i know bosch and ford and i presume delphi fomoco . filters are tested for extreem cold conditions . as far as i know the motor s are sitll tested in a ford . test unit in Canada . and obvioulst Austria. . But as an addidtion to what you have done so far i reccoment you use some Millers eco max. it improves the fuel and has some dryiing agent in but also there is another additive form Wynnes which is for diesel dry fuel which nelps evaucate moisture from the fuel . s

·
Megger
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info, I'll look into the addative you recommeneded.

many peugeots and citroens i have worked on have either an electric heater or a pipe routed from the radiator but the mondeo has no diesel aux heating!
Seems a bit of an oversight as im sure there are many colder places in the world where these cars are sold.

I dont think i will know if changing the filter has helped unless we have another really cold night.

·
Megger
201 Posts
The cars which are sold in colder climates have an aux heater either fuel fired or electric, and an uprated starter according to the info I have from Ford.

So this may explain how they start ok in colder climates in other countries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

I know it's quite late to reply on this one - but I suppose the issue will be reviewed by others.

My car is a Mondeo Estate, 2.0 TDCi, 2004, 130 hp, 300,000 km. ECU has been reprogrammed/modified to 163 hp.

Just a week ago I experienced the same issue:

OBD Testing revealed the fault codes P0500, p0251 and U 1039.

I researched this site and by coincidence I stubmled over the issue. I firstly experienced the engine to run irregularly like on/off at 1800-2000 revs, especially below optimal temperature. Later on - just a week ago - it turned into a significant decrease in power above 2000 revs, and additionally large clouds of smoke from the exhaust, and of course limp mode when pushed hard. I also noticed that the fuel consumption increased remarkably from 4.4 litres/100 km to 5.9 litres/100 km...!!

Several possible ways of solving it was posted on this site (great!). One of them was checkng and cleaning all tubess connected to intake side.

In this case i recognized a 2 inch slash in the tube (black rubber tube 2-3 inches diameter) connecting the EGR-valve to the intercooler radiator. This slash apparently caused the tube to collapse at all revs above 2000, as the turbo and use of the intercooler "starts" here.

I simply replaced the tube with a new one, which is only available from Ford dealers.
At the same time I cleared all faults in the registry, and after a couple of days I tested with OBD tool again - this time no fault codes.

Now all symptoms are gone, and she's up and running like new :)

I didn't manage to upload a photo of the tube, sorry.

Best regards

Bent

·
Registered
246 Posts
Congratulations and thanks for posting up that it solved your fault codes. Hopefully other people can benefit from it too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts