1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Error ' cylinder 4 above knock threshold '

I have a 52 plate Mondeo TDCI 2.0ltr

I know what the problem is and I know how to fix it but there in lies the problem.

One of my injectors has lost its programming, it has done it before and I am shore it will do it again that is why I would like to fix the problem myself to save on the garage bills.

So far I have tried the Super-F this reads the error codes fine but doesn't reprogram injectors on a mondeo of my age.

I bought a ELM 327 500K on the bay - £12:00 I downloaded Forscan and was going to use this. Forscan picked up the scanner but when I plugged in to the car it didn't connect to the car. I think the version of the scanner was incorrect Pre 1.3 and a Chinese copy.

My question is What OBD 2/ ELM327 reader do I need that will connect a car of my age and reprogram the injectors.

In the past the garage I have taken it to have reprogrammed the injectors with a snap-on reader as this is way out of my price range. I would like to hear from any one who has managed to reprogram an injector with DIY equipment and what hardware software did you use?

Thanks

Mark

·
Little Megger
4,709 Posts
Well, there's a wealth of info on TF about that very subject.! I've a '02 plate TDCi, and used a Fordiag to clear same error as you but with cylinder #3.

Look for a 'pinned' thread near the top of this forum all about the Fordiag., which costs around £80, available from the inventor in Czech Republic. There is talk of another device and free software capable of programming early Mondies, but don't think anyone has actually tried it yet.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Forscan and elm327 has been said to work by at least one member. I have 02 tdci + 2 cheap elm clones both connect....

Reactions: ingy

·
Super Moderator
31,104 Posts
Before you waste your time. It has not lost its injector coding. This is false.

You cannot read the codes on early Mondeo's. It hasnt lost the codes you just

cannot read them.

When you attempt to read them you get lots of 0's and 5's usually.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

thanks for the advice I'll try a different elm327 reader or Fordiag if i can find it.

Hi purple _2l_lx

I do understand on the mondeo of my age you are unable to read the injector's I just need to recode 1, thanks for the advice.

Thanks

Mark

·
Little Megger
4,709 Posts
Well, if you're not too far from Leicester, I'll do it for you with my Fordiag.

btw, if it's already been reprogrammed before to clear P2339, it probably means you should be looking to replace that injector

·
4 Posts
Injectors cannot lose their programme data. It will change over the life of the injector due to mechanical wear.

If the programming information has changed then it is an electronic fault in the memory location in the ECU. Like all electronic equipment a spike on the power supply to it can cause all sorts of problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the offer nicam49, but I am looking to fix in my self as it is going to keep happening.

mundi, it does make sense that there is a electrical fault the last 2 times it happened my front light had gone but I wasn't driving when it happened this time and all the lights are fine. trying to find an electrical fault will not be an easy job..

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I think you very probably don't have an electrical fault to find. Think mundi is saying that's what might explain it if a c2i code had truly been lost, but your fault code reflects pcm thinking that the injector dynamic (learnt) adjustment has exceeded a permissible limit. Re-entering the c2i code resets the learnt part of the adjustment, and it stays gone until pcm tries to tweak it past the limit again. (It's the learnt part that flags the fault, whereas the actual adjustment is c2i+learnt)

Of course, if the pcm has truly lost the code for that injector and is working to a default c2i substitute that doesnt reflect the specific injector, the tweaking may hit the limit earlier. but my money would always be on the injector adjustement not loosing the c2i, which i think may even cause a different code,...

·
???
3,628 Posts
I think you would get a DTC if your knock sensor was faulty.

Try disconnecting the electrical drive to your injectors one at a time and see if your knock is only from one injector.

Peter

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I'm not sure knock sensor senses knocks so much...more start of injection....

·
Little Megger
4,709 Posts
Forscan and elm327 has been said to work by at least one member. I have 02 tdci + 2 cheap elm clones both connect....
Hi Oldbod, maybe they do connect to early Mondies.....but so does the f-super, and we know that doesn't reprogram injectors. Out of interest, have you tried using your 2 elm clones with Forscan to reprogram your Mondy? I know the codes can't be read back, so a successful reprog. would be indicated by a 'diesel knock' for 20 miles or so.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Not yet - which is why im hedging my bets. When i finally get round to changing my injector camcover seals (old style leakoff connector) and can easily read the codes i'll give it a go. Meant to note them when i was doing the cam cradle but forgot... doh...

·
Little Megger
4,709 Posts
Not yet - which is why im hedging my bets. When i finally get round to changing my injector camcover seals (old style leakoff connector) and can easily read the codes i'll give it a go. Meant to note them when i was doing the cam cradle but forgot... doh...
Ah, I understand now!. What you need, I'm thinking, is one of those 'Round Tuits' you used to be able to buy at the seaside....they were sort of flat dinner plate shaped, and had printed on them something like 'This is the Round Tuit you've always been meaning to get...now you have one, you'll be able to do all those little jobs

you've been prevented from doing for want of one'..... don't see them any more, I'm afraid, wish I'd bought one when I had the chance....sad but true. :(

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Thats the one :) if handed out as awards i would have skips full of them - really sad but true....

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you are using win 8 or 8.1 you need to download new usb drivers. Go to forscan forum, there is a step by step, on how to download and install the driver. You need to install the driver everytime you open forscan. Why I dont know.
I have recoded my 2002 several times. It will show nothing but 0's. That will the forscan forum also explain.

·
Little Megger
4,709 Posts
Thanks for the update, and glad to hear it's now fixed....also useful is the link to the elm327 that works on pre-facelift mondies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.