Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Megger
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having done 10,000 miles since replacing the diesel fuel filter I decided today to try to remove any water that may have since collected there.
Unfortunately with either the engine ticking over or with just the ignition switched on, the tap on the filter just sounds like it is allowing air into the system rather than fuel/water to come out.

Has anyone managed this with more success than my attempt? :sad:

·
Couch Potato
2,944 Posts
You should drain it with the engine switched off. The correct procedure is to remove all the connections and take the fuel filter off, keeping it uprright, then drain some fuel off into a glass jar and check for water. You should then replace the filter and connections and prime it by sucking fuel through via the tank return pipe (Fords use a special vacuum pump tool with the correct connectors to fit in the return pipe on the connector on the bulkhead).
You will get air sucking in while the engine is running because the TDCi Has no lift pump so the fuel is sucked through the filter by the main pump.

·
Megger
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the reply. I hadn't realised the main fuel pump did all the work.
The Haynes manual isn't at all clear on that point.

·
Now in the Far East...
2,727 Posts
So how should the priming procedure be and what equipment would be needed?

(mine's a Mk2 TD, but persume the process should be nearly identical enough i guess)

Cheers :L

Phil

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
from what i've read on here you can push the button on the filter housing till it goes hard to prime it, but i'm a mk3 guy so don't listen to me!! lol

·
Couch Potato
2,944 Posts
Yeah the Mk2 has a Priming pump on the filter housing. The Mk3 is supposed to be self priming but it is better for the battery and starter motor if the filter is full of fuel before attempting to start, hence the special tool.

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
yeah, special tool...
that would be me :whistling: :crazy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.