Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Megger
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone has tried out any alternatives to the official Ford diesel filters.
I can get the Fram version for around £20 whereas the Ford is closer to £38.
My worry is that I may be saving a few quid at the risk of expensive problems further down the line. :ponder:

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
chances are the ford filter is made by fram , whether you would use it and take a chance is another thing , especially as they are expensive to fix if knackered :whistling:

·
Registered
50 Posts
There's a website somewhere that did tests on various filters to see which was best, basically the Fram filters came out worst in terms of quality because the 'element' inside was breaking up. I can't remember the site but if you do a search i'm sure you'll find plenty of info.
Jim.

·
Big Megger
284 Posts
I personally always opt for the Ford filter - there may be alternatives cheaper, but for me I would rather have what is approved by Ford (I pay £27)

·
Megger
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the replies. :thankyousign:

I've had a quote from FordPartsUK for £33 including postage so I think it's best to play safe and stick with the real thing.

Incidentally does everyone replace this every 20k miles as recommended or do you think is there any point changing it more often than this?

·
Big Megger
208 Posts
Filter changed on the TDCi is every 37.5k/3yrs.

I would go with the Ford filter every time - the £38 filter protects about 3 grands worth of fuel system components. Ford changed the spec of the filter early in the life of the TDCi so that it catches particles down to 1 micron - hence they are very expensive to make.

I would get the dealer to fit the filter as well - they have a special bleeding kit to fill the filter and bleed out any air that enters during the process of changing it. Cranking the engine with no fuel in the fuel pump will dramatically reduce its life and it will be running dry.

·
MEG Corporal
894 Posts
Wasn't there an issue with fuel filters a couple of years ago due to the wrong specification filter media being selected by Ford. I recall someone saying the conclusion was that the TDCi was sensitive to the correct filter.

·
Megger
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd be grateful if someone could identify the connection (I think it's the centre connector) OUT of the filter TO the pump.
Then I'm sure I'll find a way of sucking through enough fuel to fill the filter, without flattening the battery or wearing out the fuel pump.

·
Big Megger
208 Posts
Yobbo said:
Wasn't there an issue with fuel filters a couple of years ago due to the wrong specification filter media being selected by Ford. I recall someone saying the conclusion was that the TDCi was sensitive to the correct filter.
The filter spec was changed after production started. Early cars (like my old March 02 TDCi)had their fuel filters replaced FOC by the dealer.

·
Big Megger
208 Posts
Ford bleed the system through the return lines to ensure that the whole system, including the rail and injectors are primed and free from air.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I watched the ford mechanic change mine,when i went in for the service they didn't have the fuel filter in stock so they did everything else but i had to go back to get the fuel filter changed. He changed the fuel filter then topped it up with diesel from a jug, connected all the pipes, then told me to crank the engine, it turned over for 5 or 6 seconds then started. I was in and out in 10 minutes.
Jim.

·
Megger
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had decided to let Ford do the job until I read your post Jim. Now I'm just not sure what to do.

I could easily top up the filter with diesel myself if that's all some Ford service centres are doing.

·
Big Megger
284 Posts
Exactly what I do - top the filter with Diesel before I refit - starts more or less off the key.

·
Diesel Head
1,929 Posts
and my mechanic did the same too

·
Megger
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Charlie_Ghia_X said:
Exactly what I do - top the filter with Diesel before I refit - starts more or less off the key.
Just changed the filter myself this morning and had no real problems. The quick release clips are fine when you get the hang of them.
There's not much room to lift the filter out of its cradle which ended up popping away from its mounting point along with the filter.
I replaced the plastic blank ends on the new filter (now full of diesel) and placed it alongside the old one.
Then transferred the pipes across one by one swapping the blank ends to the old filter each time to avoid any possibility of letting fuel out or air into the system. Not sure if this is necessary or would even be possible if the cradle had remained mounted to the side of the engine compartment.
Anyway the important thing is the engine started first time and I've driven 30-odd miles since with no hint of misfire or hesitation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts