Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
MEG Corporal
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This topic was discussed recently in the Diesel Engine section to do with the torque limiter or power capping of the 130 TDCi.

I'd just like to start it again and hopefull some bright sparks (or spanners) could clarify which gear boxes went with which engine etc.

Original quote was,

[color:blue]MTX-75 , it's the 5-speed used in mondy tdci from 2000-2003.5
MMT-6 (can coope with 450Nm) from 2003.5-2005.5 it has no reverse gear locking , these gearboxes are the reason they limited the torque of the engines fitted to it
Finally there's the newer MMT-6 (can coope with 500Nm) --> here you have to lift a knob to get into reverse gear
these boxes are much stronger then the previous MMT-6 , but still power is capped from the engines fitted to it.
If you have a box like this you can map you engine free (no limitations anymore)
First car they ever capped the power from was a Focus RS it was a MTX-75 that was limited in 1/2 to 250Nm, 3rd 280Nm
Power capping is done by playing with you boost and fuel maps.
[/color]

To summerise,
MTX-75 , it's the 5-speed used in mondy tdci from 2000-2003.5

MMT-6 (can only handle 450Nm) from 2003.5-2005.5 --> it has no reverse gear locking , these gearboxes are the reason they limited the torque of the engines fitted to it

MMT-6 (can handle 500Nm) here you have to lift a knob to get into reverse gear
these boxes are much stronger then the previous MMT-6

So there are two styles of MMT-6 gerabox or is that a typo?

From this I take it the first 6 speed boxes had direct movement into reversed.
Next they had a collar under the gear nob that needs to be lifted before you can slot it into reverse.
(This is the case on my 2005 Euro3)

My father has a 2005 '55 Euro4 (but not the chrome plated version). His gearbox is different to mine. You need to press down hard on the stick in order to engage reverse.
Where does this one fit into the gearbox range.

Is there a third varsion of the MMT-6?

Hopefully somebody will be able to make sense of this as I'd really like to know whether my gear box is a strong one or not.

Cheers :ponder:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts