Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 2004 Tdci Mondeo its the 115 model . Can someone please tell me their idle speed when warm . Im pretty sure mines to low , there is a mark just below the 1000rpm well mine is under that ! Ive seen a few whos idle at 1000rpm . When mine idles it does make a rather strange noise until i press the accelerator and bring up the idle to around the 1000rpm mark . If its out how can I raise it .

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
roughly how low is it? 500rpm? what does that noise sound like? do you feel the car shudder when it's idling?

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
TDCi should idle once warm at 750 rpm +/- 50rpm. They can be a little higher than this when first started until they settle down.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it does shudder slightly its not as low as 500 rpm but its not far off it ! Funy thing is when I put the car in reverse gear the idle then increases slightly and judder funny low idle noise dissapears .Its a 5 speed manual .

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Not the 115bhp model, but my 130bhp idles at 750-800rpm and I wouldn't expect the 115bhp to be any different (as it's essentially the same engine) :D

1000rpm for a warm idle seems way too high to me!

Chris

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
As I said above, its definately 750 +/- 50rpm. For reference, the TDDi should be 900 +/- 50rpm. I know loads of useful stuff like this :)

·
MEG Corporal
1,133 Posts
There is no problem with your idle speed if it's between 700rpm and 800rpm.
What you seem to be describing is the TDCi's famous idle pulley rumble.
The engine will run roughly at normal idle speed with a rumble sound from the drivers side of the engine.
Just touching the throttle and raising the revs slightly to around 900rpm to 1000rpm will smooth everything out and kill the noise.
Ford have a TSB out on this and it's easily fixed under warranty.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info , the noise you described is spot on raise the revs noise goes away . Unfortunatly my car is out of warranty what exactly is causing the problem any idea ? Is it expensive repair ,can it be left or will it get worse

·
MEG Corporal
1,133 Posts
caprimanuk said:
Thanks for the info , the noise you described is spot on raise the revs noise goes away . Unfortunatly my car is out of warranty what exactly is causing the problem any idea ? Is it expensive repair ,can it be left or will it get worse
From memory it's replacement of various aux pulleys, a tensioner and the belt. Around £275 at the Ford dealer.
If yours is a 2004 car then it should still be under warranty unless it's over mileage?
If it is out of warranty then I would push Ford Customer services for a discount to fix a known problem on a car less than three years old.

Ford will not fix this issue unless the owner complains so I wouldn't think it is a safety or mechanical failure issue, just annoying.

Cheers
Lee

·
Megger
90 Posts
Lee is spot on. Had mine fixed under warrenty few weeks ago.
Search this forum for 'pulley' and 'rumble'.
I seem to remember someone paying to have the pulley, belt and tensioner changed. about £100 if my memory is correct. :whistling:
What a relief when the noise was gone.
Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.