Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I am new here but need a bit of advice. I own a Mondeo 2 litre TDCI which is a 02 plate. However at present she is making a suking noise (just suck in your breath through pursed lips and you sort of have the noise). the noise starts in all gears at about 2 and a half thousand revs. The power does not seem as good as usual but other than that all is fine. Sorry for being so undescriptive but i know little about cars and my hubby is not around at the minute. Any ideas what it could be????? Thank You :thankyousign:

·
Big Megger
208 Posts
Sounds like one of the pipes to/from the turbo is loose or has come off - when the turbo spins the air in the pipes is under a lot of pressure and if the hose clips aren't tight it will force the pipe off its fitting. Should be quite simple to fix.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Very Much for your reply, a bit of a weight of my mind. I will pop it down to the Dealer tommorow and see how much they wil rip me off by. :eyesup:

·
MEG Corporal
894 Posts
Claire, It is urgent though so don't put it off. If the pipe blows off you could come to a grinding halt in a cloud of diesel smoke from the exhaust (Its happened twice to me). As said above its probably a very small cheap thing to fix.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankyou. I have rang the dealer today who said to pop it down. He said he did one last week and it was about 100 quid!!!! Bit steep but what can ya do???? Am going after work and will let you know what happens (and what the damage is to my wallet!!!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took car to Ford and they said it is the turbo pipe. It needs to go in for a few days for them to look at so am dropping it off Thurs night. Is it just me or does this seem quite a long time for a pipe???

·
MEG Corporal
894 Posts
A few days seems a bit long. When these fail its either a broken clip that holds it in place (A few pence), or a split pipe. It may be that they have found something else but there isn't much else to go wrong :confused:

Perhaps they are anticipating having to order a pipe ? It might be worth asking some questions round about lunchtime the first day they have it as they should know for sure pretty fast.
What do others think ?

·
Diesel Head
1,929 Posts
split pipes are becoming common on cars of @ that age mine was in stock at local dealer and was an easy enough job but there are a couple of different pipes year type specific they asked for chassis no. to get correct part

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had it looked at today my a friend who is a mechanic and he said the pipe is split. He is going to order the part tommorow (luckily he has the same car!!) and give to me at cost price and i will just give him a few quid to fit it. I forgot he only lives across the road!!! He doesn't think the pipe will be anymore than 30 quid max!! Just goes to show what rip off merchants the dealers are!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have had it looked at today my a friend who is a mechanic and he said the pipe is split. He is going to order the part tommorow (luckily he has the same car!!) and give to me at cost price and i will just give him a few quid to fit it. I forgot he only lives across the road!!! He doesn't think the pipe will be anymore than 30 quid max!! Just goes to show what rip off merchants the dealers are!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts