Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this? At first I thought it was dual mass but when I open the airbox it's coming through very clear. Can't hear anything from flywheel area. Sounds internal ..

No idea what it could be 馃 but it doesn't sound amazing.

Registered
Mondeo mk3 tdci titanium 2006 170k miles + mondeo mk3 2004 st tdci 123k miles
Cheers for reply..

Whats the breather? :O.. I am unfamiliar with this.

I'll Have a closer listen with the oil cap off..
The hose that goes from the air filter to the turbo has a smaller hose coming off it to the rocker cover. If you open the oil filler cap you should hear and see something like exhaust fumes pumping out. I'm just wondering if that's what you hearing through the air filter

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have a look in a bit :) .. Is this a bad thing or is it normal?. You'll have to excuse my ignorance on this one I'm just glad it aint the flywheel.

I can hear it without taking the airbox off.. But it's more pronounced with it off.. I had the idea of taking the air box off after poking around with a stethoscope and not being able to isolate the noise.

Super Moderator
Its not that the tensioner gets broken, the chain jumps a tooth or more which puts the timing out.

Super Moderator
One tooth you maybe lucky and just notice a lack of power 2 teeth and its not going to run well at all.

Registered
Okay.. It's running good as far as I know Shruggs one thing though, at idle I have this annoying rattle. It's nothing to do with the tensioner or any of the other pulleys as it still does it with the belt off, Besides I replaced the tensioner and the alternator has an over running pulley.. Could the crankshaft pulley still make noise if the belt is off?.. And can I run the engine with the pulley off to see if the noise is still there?.

I just can't seem to locate the rattle, it's very noticeable on the driver's side, inside the car but the noise is very hard to hear outside as it is drowned out by engine noise >.< .. I'll be honest, it is really bugging me.

Registered
Mondeo mk3 tdci titanium 2006 170k miles + mondeo mk3 2004 st tdci 123k miles
Okay.. It's running good as far as I know Shruggs one thing though, at idle I have this annoying rattle. It's nothing to do with the tensioner or any of the other pulleys as it still does it with the belt off, Besides I replaced the tensioner and the alternator has an over running pulley.. Could the crankshaft pulley still make noise if the belt is off?.. And can I run the engine with the pulley off to see if the noise is still there?.

I just can't seem to locate the rattle, it's very noticeable on the driver's side, inside the car but the noise is very hard to hear outside as it is drowned out by engine noise >.< .. I'll be honest, it is really bugging me.
That will probably be the crankshaft pulley/tensioner. Does it stop when at 1000rpm?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its not tensioner because the noise still occurs with the belt off.. I really am stumped with this one. I cant really hear it outside the car.. only inside on the drivers side mostly.

Im going to see if i can get the ECU edited to raise the idle RPMs a bit this weekend, sod it.. lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts