Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Megger
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use to have a MK2 1.8 TD up until I sold it a few months back , thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence with a petrol jap crap !! Well after much unhappyness with it I've decided to buy a Mk3 TDCi (115/130). Going to look at a few over the next couple of days BUT having read about a "few" problems with injectors etc I'm a little wary over reliability issues ?? Am I being paranoid or are these problems few and far between ??????? I may now go for a 2.0 petrol what do you think ????!!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
As with any forums, you're going to read about people complaining when things go wrong. I have a 2002 TDCI 130bhp and it's just ticked over 62.5k (30 of those in the last 18 months under my care) and it's not skipped a beat or even complained about my driving :D

Chris

·
Megger
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well been looking in the Autotrader and theres loads to choose from ! Lots of DDi's , are these the bargain they seem to be ? Or shall I pay a bit more and go for a later type ?

Your input and knowledge is welcome ;)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Without offending anyone (I'm being good, Dave ;)) the TDDI uses direct injection and is an old-skool diesel. Very tough and reliable, but lacking the performance and refinement of the newer common rail TDCI's. I also don't believe the face lift cars were offered with anything other than TDCI's but it depends what age you are looking at....

I'd give one a drive and see if it meets your requirements, or whether you prefer the TDCI....

Chris

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
There are lots of TDDi's about but if you are going to look at one of these, try and get one with history and as low mileage as possible. Had mine for 15 months now without a problem at all, its very quick (quicker since the tuning box was put on). Dont discount them because there are great bargains to be had with them if you look hard enough and in my experience going from a 1.8TD to a TDDi felt like more of a jump in power than the 25bhp or so on paper would have you think (its all the extra torque).

The Differences between the TDDi and TDCi all boil down to the fuel delivery. As Chris said, the Di is the standard tried and tested Direct Injection from an electronic Pump (1.8TD is Mechanical), whereas the Ci is all done on a high pressure commonrail which is clever in that it is constantly monitoring the fuelling for economy and smooth running - which is sometimes where it can get confused. Apart from a few other bits, its the same engine block in both. As with anything, if you make it more complex, then there is more chance of it going wrong but that doesnt mean it will as the vast majority of owners probably experience.

Personally, I didnt get a TDCi because I couldn't take the risk that I would get a problematic one, but to be honest the problems with them seem more commonplace than they actually are becuase people only really ask questions on forums like these when they do have a problem. I could have got a TDDi that was a lemon - just turns out that mine seems very good and smooth (thankfully).

I would still go for a later model TDCi if I were changing up - one with a Euro IV engine as the possible niggles with earlier cars should be less likely, or probably a 2.2 155 one just so I really notice the difference. Probably wait and get a MK4 in a few years though :)

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Robbins said:
If you can afford a TDCi then go for one of them, the Di's are the poor mans diesel!

*Runs away* :whistling:
I will wet myself if mine is putting out more power on the rolling road day :}

·
MEG Corporal
1,091 Posts
had my tdci nearly 2 years done approx 45k still going strong and its quick

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Like the Signature :L

All Im bothered about is proving TotalGuy wrong cause he seems to think you dont need a tuning box cause his is putting out just over 130. Thats if he ever comes back :(

·
Glen
4,110 Posts
I have a TDDi and its ample power, not for the scooby nutters :whistling: but okay for us mere mortals. when you treat it right it will give you very good mpg, not much difference to TDCi MPG wise and if you buy a 115 TDCi I would assume that performance would be vastly similar to a 115 TDDi, perhaps a little smoother and ((slightlly) lower emissions although it is in the same tax band AFAIK.

·
Megger
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all you advice guys .......but .....I've gone and bought a 2.0 petrol :blush: .....twas a bit of a bargain so I could'nt let it go . Most of the TDi's I went to see were over priced and well "used" .

First petrol Mondeo I've had and so far its seems good ! Gonna check the MPG over the next few weeks and see how she fares !!

Cheers again fellas :thumbup:

·
MEG Corporal
726 Posts
Make sure you post your findings back here. I don't tend to read the petrol engine side of this forum so it might as well be a totally different car.
Good luck with your new car. :L

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.