Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - newbie here, so excuse my ignorance! I'm looking for a 2002ish TDCi & have a couple of q's. I know these engines have a cam chain - do they last indefinately, or is it more like the 10yrs/100k as quoted by dealers? If they do need replacement what is an approx. cost? I believe the petrol models have a normal cam belt which lasts 40k(?) - approx price to replace? Am also considering a Focus estate, but I think the diesel versions have cam belts, not chains. Is this correct?
Basically, I,m just trying to work out the relative running costs to decide between the petrol & diesel models. I don't do a lot of miles so it's a bit of a toss up!
Thanks.

·
MEG Corporal
1,048 Posts
I think with the chain you're fine untill it starts to become noisey. I wouldn't get one changed just because it's reached a certain age. :L

I may be totally wrong though :D

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
All MK3's (Petrol and Diesel's) have Chains. They are supposed to be inspected at 100k but thats about it. Never heard of one needing to be replaced.

If you do a lot of miles, then go for the Diesel as it will save you money in fuel costs. Personal preference at the end of the day but I prefer driving Diesels for the torque (modern ones anyway), some prefer Petrols for the higher revving. Only you can decide.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The only time the chain is recommended to be replaced is during an engine strip down (which is what is happening to my Mondeo TDCI)
6 weeks so far to replace ONE valve, and I've been advised they will have the job completed by 24 November
Too late for me, as the car has been signed over and disposed of
2 months without a car on VOR is pathetic!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.