Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might seem a stupid question, but given that diesel engines release acids into the diesel oil, and the longer service intervals are 12,500 miles
Did Ford take this into account?

All my other previous diesels had additional oil and filter changes in their service program, when compared to their petrol counterparts
For example,
the petrol would be 10K miles
the diesel would be 10K miles, with oil and filter changes at 5K miles

I've always been concerned by this increase in the intervals, especially in diesels as the acid is horrific and EATS metal

·
Big Megger
238 Posts
I think the oils have buffers to absorb the acid to a greater extent than previously, plus the fact that the fuel is now much lower in sulphur than it used to be means that less sulphuric acid is evolved in the combustion. I have to agree that it is unsettling though. My TDDi has always been serviced at the 12,500 intervals and has 86,000 miles on it but burns no oil so I guess the bores must be unaffected. It's basically the same engine with a different fuel delivery system.

·
MEG Corporal
1,133 Posts
Modern diesels burn far more efficiently and less pollutents enter the oil. Oil technology and engine design has also moved on.
In fact Ford lag behind other manufacturers, VAG, BMW, Merc and others with variable servicing go 2 years or 30000 miles between services.

Cheers
Lee

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
My sisters car is just coming upto 2 years old and its not had a service yet - the intervals are 25k or 2 years.

Some will change the oil and filter on their TDCi's and TDDi's every 6k or so but its really not necessary so long as you use a good quality oil. I think leaving it 20k wouldnt necessarily cause any issues if you were doing a lot of mileage but 12.5k or 1 year is what I will be sticking to :L

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.