Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Glen
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this before but it has just started to niggle a little...

if you stop the car and gently raise the revs to between 1750-1900 and hold the throttle STILL, it suddenly drops to 1750 and slowly rises to 1900 then dops again, it just keeps doing this.

Accelerating through the gears is fine or just revving through that range is fine, but if you are driving slowly and you hit that engine speed it does the same thing and i resemble a learner driver at the lights!!!! kangaroo juice!

any ideas? if its gonna be expensive i will just leave it as it doesn't bother me often enough to spend a fortune!!!

·
MEG Corporal
846 Posts
I'd recommend you try an ECU reset first off.
It sounds like a problem I had a couple of months ago and the advice I got from MEG was that it would be the diesel filter.
I can't be 100% sure that it was as I ended up having to change the fuel lifer pump as well.
Do you know if the filter has been changed recently??
:L

·
TDDI Buff
35,213 Posts
its normal its the stage where it changes from injection stage 1 and 2 look in meg workshop (button up top) for the ecu reset if you do the ecu reset it will lessen it but it probably wont dissapear.

·
Glen
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried an ECU reset a while ago but I think i must have not done it right because it idled perfectly straight away and drove spot on... will double check the procedure but I thought youjust disconnected the battery...?

·
MEG Corporal
846 Posts
Disconnect it for at least an hour. Haynes then tells you to let it come up to temperature at idle (which can take forever); then 1200rmp for 2 minutes; then 5 miles of varied driving.
Some people say its a waste of time but the way I look at it is that it can't do any harm!
Good luck. :L

·
TDDI Buff
35,213 Posts
dont need to waitthat long iwaited 20 mins and it did its job i usually idle it at 12000rpm for 5 mins or as best as ican get it near 1200 then i drive it slow for a mile then i give it a good booting staying longer in lower gears always works.

i did it wrong first time i didnt idle it for 5 mins and i just drive it did improve slightly but not much secondtime and last time i did it as above and it worked no probs. dont expect major improvements but it does almost get rid of the stutter between the 2 injection stages.

·
Glen
4,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahhh, haynes just says 'after the battery is disconnected' doesn't say how long...

I just took it of then put it back on again before...

and yes, it took about 40-45 minutes to warm up!!! :headshake:

will do it tomorrow and let you know what happens, might help a few other bothersome niggles out too, like poor mpg and lotsa smoke when booting it (already done egr)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.