Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

my friend is having serious problems with power output with his TDDi 90 which is ~115 000 miles on the clock. His problems were various, problem to start, no answer on throttle after start (rarely) and generally very low power. Diag shown no errors. I tried to live-diag it on run also nothing really strange, except very long turbo spool (hits full pressure at 2300+rpm sometimes even later) but all turbo hoses are ok, turbo itself is simple fixed vane turbo also looks in very good condition. Car does NOT smoke at all. Fuel consumption is crazy low - ~56 mpg when you try to run its best not trying to achieve good fuel economy... Fuel pump has been changed to another working but used pump with little difference but not much at all and afterwards pump has been replaced with refurbished one with warranty and still low performance. I suspect injectors even its not common that tddi injectors fail, i have no other idea what could do this mess... So, I had a set of 100% well-running 110ps injectors from tddi, we replaced and tried. Car ran by his word twice that good but when i tested it, i saw black smoke from the exhaust. Now, the question is, ran his car better because 110ps injectors were fitted and fuel mixture was too rich so even turbo might spool better besides better performance output with more fuel OR his injectors are really somehow faulty and cannot deliver enough fuel and with the other ones car ran finally like it should.

PS: Injectors were send from Ford garage to external diesel comapy for test and they claim his injectors are okay.

Another question: what is difference between 90 and 110 ps injectors?

Cheers

Andrej

·
Little Megger
4,565 Posts
Hi, I can only suggest that for the starting problems you test the glowplugs for continuity-especially at this time of year when it get cold, any burnt out glowplugs show themselves as cold start issues. Their resistance is very low...1-2 Ohms and you'd need to remove the wiring from them (as they are wired in parallel) before you test them with your Ohm meter.

·
Super Moderator
30,347 Posts
A cheap clamp meter maybe useful if your going to start tinkering with cars, just dont

assume its faulty when it shows zero amps on the glowplug feed wire. :)

My old car turned out to have all of them go down, it still started but with a bit of smoke

for a few seconds.

A weak battery will also cause issues when starting, battery/alternator test.. http://www.talkford.com/topic/205394-battery-test-procedure/

I dont know what the differences are between the 90 and 115 injectors are but the change

when swapping them may have been the same after fitting some clean 90 injectors instead

of the 115's.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I know obvious but lift pump.... filter... obstructed fuel pickup in tank... check wastegate actuator and vacuum control system, incl for swapped pipes egr-wastegate. Lot more di transits around than mk3 tddi, maybe worth a look there...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all replies, car starts now good but rarely, cranking last longer and after startup it has no throttle response for a few seconds. Glow plugs should be good however, i dont think glowplugs might have impact on performance even when engine runs for hours...

Turbo, if am I right, is not controlled by vacuum. Actuator runs good, smooth, boost is being achieved smoothly but a bit slowly in my opinion.

It really feels like or fuel transport or fuel injection itself is somehow faulty... I will suggest to change fuel filter and add cleaning additives into tank.

One more strange thing, when I removed injectors, 3 nozzles had wet-carbon on it (like carbon and diesel mixture?) and one of them was absolutely dry and carbon was more like burned and totally dry. I dont know what does this indicate but i think the condition of it should be similiar.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
In UK I think all tddi had vacuum controlled egr and turbo/wastegate but other locales may differ.

Have you replaced lift pump as well as fuel pump? Lift pump if there is one is near rear wheel arch on same side of car as timing chain.

Not sure how well 110 injectors will work. Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to get them tested anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts