Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ianp45
92 Posts
HI FOLKS , I HAVE HAD TWO DIESEL MONDEOS SO FAR(1&2)I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A 02 PLATE TDDI WITH 70 000 MILES, ON THE CLOCK FROM A PRIVATE SELLER .I TOOK IT FOR A LONG ROAD TEST WITH THE SELLER ON THE MOTORWAY, BEFORE BUYING IT.WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS THE ENGINE SEEMS A BIT NOISER THAN MY PREVIOUS TWO DIESELS ,I KNOW THIS IS DUE TO IT BEING A 'DI',BUT IT SEEMS TO RATTLE A BIT AT HIGHISH REVS JUST B4 CHANGING UP A GEAR.PLEASE TELL THIS IS NORMAL 'COS I AM WORRIED NOW.THANKS FOR ANY LIGHT SHED ON MY PROBLEM. IAN.

·
Big Megger
416 Posts
mines the same, 02 with 86000miles , worse when the engines cold. it seems to rattle at about 1800 to 2000 rpm just as you change gear.settles downok when its warm and you dont really notice it then

·
Super Moderator
19,696 Posts
do the tddi engines have the big plastic cover over them ( the bit with a ford badge & duratorq on it i believe ), seen many posts about them being removed due to them rattling, i just cant remember if its the petrol or diesel engines or both.

If they have its worth a try running it without the cover on as its free. :L

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
I agree that its a heck of a lot noisier when its cold - when its warmed up its nice and quiet I find. Compared to my previous MK2 TD its a lot quieter.

·
Diesel Head
1,929 Posts
the cover is made of plastic/rubber and would be impossible to rattle.the noise is from the diesel injectors and the high compression and is quite normal

·
Formerly known as cilla black
15,701 Posts
nothing to worry about mate, i find its bad when its cold, but the problem goes after a run when its warm. try some injector cleaner through it aswell, i find it helps a bit.

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
Mine is loud as well.

Not so good when you have to start it at 4 in the morning in a very quite street!

·
Big Megger
238 Posts
I had exactly the same fears 18 months ago when I bought mine. But there's ben SO much on here about it under the heading of 'clatter' or 'rattle' or 'hesitation' that I am now certain that it IS normal. Do not worry! :L

Just enjoy the grunt in fifth at overtaking speeds. ;)

·
TDDI Buff
37,060 Posts
id be interested to experience this first hand is it worse than the TD then? i know that was noisy but could live with that.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
totalguy said:
id be interested to experience this first hand is it worse than the TD then? i know that was noisy but could live with that.
Mine ain't as noisy as my old TD was, and the noise it does make - even when cold sounds a lot healthier (i.e. not like a bag of bolts) especially when you are stood outside the car.

The sound deadening is better in it too.

·
Big Megger
238 Posts
It is a more metallic or light rattle but it isn't the classic taxicab noise either. When cold, if you exceed about 1500 - 1800 revs the normal diesel rattle suddenly changes to a more agressive and insistent noise accompanied by a sort of stumble or break in the acceleration. It seems to flip in an out of this mode dependent on accelerator position and load. Once it's thoroughly warm you can still provoke it into a muffled version of this noise but it is quite difficult to do so. When I test drove mine I gave it a bit of stick and expected noise. It was only after I bought it that I realised that the noise was there anyway and it didn't reflect the 'welly-factor'. Perry's workshop manager told me "they all do that Sir" and judging by the postings on here, they do. It seems that TDCi versions do it too. Someone recently said they'd been told it was two-stage injectors that caused it but if that was the case common rail engines shouldn't do it as they are continuously variable injectors aren't they?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts