Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just bought a 2001 TDDI ghia x, done 117K miles and has full history, its the 115ps and is lovely to drive, and goes how you expect BUT..., its averaging 26.9mpg no-matter how i drive it, and is doing a massive 74 miles to £10, even on a run this only went up to 27.1mpg, which is very annoying as on a run my V6 would do 38mpg, im starting to loose interest in owning a diesel!!

it goes how you would expect, doesnt leave puddles on the floor and doesnt blow black smoke out the back and the engine management light hasnt once stayed on longer than it should.

has anybody got any surgestions of what might be causing this or does that sound right for town driving??

cheers, ben

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
You should be getting more than that for town driving.

Firstly - if you are going off what the trip computer is telling you then take it with a pinch of salt! I reset mine every time I fill up and by the end of a tank its roughly showing 4MPG less than I actually am getting. That may just be mine but its worth taking into consideration.

You should be getting at least mid 30's about town but there are a few things that could explain the low MPG:-

1. You're driving it like a V6 - In other words at high revs. Try taking it easy and change gear around 2-2.5k RPM. Diesels differ tremendously from Petrols - you use the Torque rather than the revs as on a Diesel the Torque is a lot lower down.

2. Short Journeys - Diesels come into their own on long runs. Short trips about town when the engine is cold uses a lot more fuel than when the engine is warmed up. Its always a good idea not to push the car until the engine has had time to warm up.

You mentioned on a run it only went upto 27.1 but how long had it been since the trip computer was reset? It will average things out for the miles done since last reset - and if that was 10,000 miles ago then its gonna take some time for it to rise (its not an instant readout).

3. Injectors - Try putting some injector treatment in your next couple of tanks. I use Redex Diesel Injector Treatment and it does help the injectors if they arent running correctly.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Oh - if you are getting roughly 74 miles to a tenner that still works out at just over 30MPG (very rough calculations though). As I said you should be getting mid-30's if its all just round town but this is dependent on driving style.

·
Just me
19,673 Posts
Just to add, try a ecu reset as well, mine mpg has improved slightly since

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do you reset the ecu? i cant remember sorry :eyesup:

just been for a long ish drive at some motorway speed, got home and had a feel of each wheel and low and behold, n/s/r wheel is red hot and stinking, think i may have a dodgy rear caliper aswell, thats not going to help anything!

must admit tho even if the fuel consumption was really good id still miss the V6, im so tempted with an st220, but im in the wrong section to talk about them lol.

·
Formerly known as cilla black
15,701 Posts
DavePage said:
You should be getting more than that for town driving.

3. Injectors - Try putting some injector treatment in your next couple of tanks. I use Redex Diesel Injector Treatment and it does help the injectors if they arent running correctly.
thats where i would start mate, also check your back brakes aren't stuck on.

·
Man in a Jag
15,051 Posts
Try here for the ECU reset, but first port of call has to be to get that rear brake(s) checked before you do this. If they were red hot then something is sticking on which would go some way to explain it.

·
MEG Captain
4,819 Posts
dodgy rear calipers are known mk 3 problem , i am not 100% sure but you might have some luck getting ford to do it for free :L

1 - 8 of 8 Posts