Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

i have a 2002 mondeo 2.0tddi 115ps

well as i have noticed on this forum my car is kinda rare in the fact the egr is mounted at the front like some tdci

this is exactly what my engine looks like!,before anyone sais it i am 1000000% sure BTW THIS picture belongs to (adamw5433)

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

my egr is like this (also adam5433's picture)

Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Vehicle Nut

so i have a blanking plate for my egr but i would like to delete it all toghether!

would i not be able to hollow the inside of the valve out and slip a piece of rubber pipe in tight then put the blanking plate on the exhaust side?

to make it more clear

put the blanking plate on,remove all the insides of the valve,put a bit of silicone the exact size of the hole inside then bolt it back up,so then it would just be a hose straight from the manifold to the egr to intecooler hose?

imagine this

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Metal Electric blue

but with a very thin walled silicone tube inside to make the inside more like this

Automotive lighting Gas Camera accessory Audio equipment Circle

thanks guys i hope to hear from you soon!

also will this throw up any codes? if it would do they affect drivability?

Attachments

·
MEG Corporal
5,689 Posts
OK ill tell you one thing Arron, if you put rubber or silicon rubber anywhere you are indicating putting it . you wont have to worry about falut codes .. most likely you will need a fire engine to put the engine fire out . . have you any idea of the kind of temperatrues which hit that valve .. obv..not hence the ider . . please DO NOT .do this odd mod . it would be seriously not good for engine of human.. just blank the egr with the ss blank if you must but leave that mod out . s

·
MEG Sergeant
3,099 Posts
With a blanked EGR theres nothing more to do, especially on a Tddi surely?

·
Registered
653 Posts
U can buy bypass pipes for front mounted egr. Normally listed on ebay for st tdci and x type but just same.

No mil will come on. Ive ditched my rear mount tddi.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok what about a thin walled metal pipe?

or just weld the hole and buff it smooth?

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
If you have a front mounted EGR then that will fit. But thats odd, I thought they were rear mounted?

The TDCI doesnt have anything protruding into the airflow so not really worth replacing with a bypass.

If yours has that larger valve then it maybe worth doing.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah apparently they are rare the front mount egr tddi

i think it was a very late revision. there is only one guy on here that i know of that has one.

what do you mean by larger valve? my valve is a bit different from the first one outside but inside there is nothing sticking out it is just a indent inside like the first one.

i have actually snapped a bolt in my valve when reftting after cleaning it so i thought if i am having to replace it anyway the bypass is around the same price.

but there is also a electrical plug on the valve and a vac hose,so will i not get a code because of the plug having nowhere to go? unless i could extend the plugs wiring and keep it plugged into the old valve hidden somewhere out of sight? as extending the wire would take me no longer than 5 minutes anyway

does anyone know what the plug is for?

and since i have blocked the vac hose for the egr can i use the nipple thats on the egr as a feed for my boost guage? as i get no reading from using a t piece between the actuator and turbo.

my audi 80 had a nipple abouve the egr valve and thats what i used to get boost reading on that!

this is where it was in my audi just ignore the b part as its not my pic

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i get you now mate

the valve has nothing sticking out so the bypass would have no advantage

since i broke the bolt in the valve,it is a the manfiold side.

do you think i could get a new thread tapped into it?

bloody thing snapped before it even got tight it had litrally just nearly got snug and snapped the bolt must have been weak because i put no pressure at all on it and it wasnt crosed it wasnt even the ratchet i used it was the screwdriver part of the socket set as i lost my smaller adapter

·
Super Moderator
30,338 Posts
I drilled my sisters one so that you could get a nut and bolt through it. Bit fiddly as it was the

rear bolt. But it worked.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
great going to do that monday!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok good to know

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
usually you only get an eml light when bypassing/blanking the egr on Euro 4 Emissions cars, (Will tell you on Ford Etis for definite, the Euro 3-4 changeover is approx 2004) Blanking the vac hose actually stops the valve working, but if the egr is stuck open then it won't make a difference, and you'd need to blank it.

I take it you have read the wiki's?

http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/Category:Mondeo_Mk3

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
Fine as mine is euro 3 and when blanking no eml. When pullung off vacuum pipe. Eml light on
have you blocked the vacuum pipe? it needs to think it is operating the egr, a m6 bolt (like the battery bolts) is ideal. anything that seals the pipe will do.

I would also cut about an inch off the vacuum pipe, block that on one end, and refit to keep crud out the egr.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
You mention not getting a reading between actuator and turbo and also using the nipple on the egr and your boost gauge. Not sure if i've understood what you're doing correctly but as i understand it the vacuum in these lines is generated by the vacuum pump, and adjusted by the turbo/egr solenoid valves under pcm instruction between maximum(best vacuum pump can do) and atmospheric so wion't give you a boost level - though can be handy to know if the line is seeing a decent vacuum for test purposes which may be what you're doing in which case ignore me...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts