Ford Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Little Megger
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a car of Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI (02 reg) for 40 days. The car is fine. However, I found the temperature gauge shows the very low engine temperature. The needle should remain within the centre section according to the owner's guide. Now I began to worry about this problem. This is my first car. So I don't know much about car. I have brought a Haynes manual and tried to test the temperature sender at the hose of the left-hand cylinder end (according to the Haynes manual). However, I am so inexperienced that I cannot find the temperature sender after I removed the plastic engine cover. Could anyone tell me what does the sender looks like? "the left-hand cylinder end" also confuses me. Does it means that on my left-hand when I facing the engine compartment?

Any suggestion and comments are welcome.

Thanks a lot!

·
Little Megger
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ktsortanidis said:
Check for mulfunction of the thermostat. Maybe it has stuck and stays allways open.
I just looked at Haynes manual again. It says that "The sensor is screwed into the outlet housing on the left-hand end of the cylinder head". I still cannot find it.

Thanks for Ktsortanidis. Yes, it may be the problem of thermostat. Here comes another question. I think if the thermostat is always open, the needle of temperature gauge will goes up slowly to the normal area after a long run. However, I didn't spot that even after two hours drive.

BTW, I got a quotation from Ford dealer. They said checking for the problem is 70.50 pounds. If I choose to repair the problem with them, the checking fee can be reimbursed. I guess the repair fee in Ford dealer is also expensive. :sad:

·
Big Megger
93 Posts
The gauge probably won't go up to normal if the thermostat is stuck open. On a run, you have plenty of air cooling the radiatior, and since coolant is always flowing through the radiator with thermostat open, it's always cooled.

If the car is idling for a long time, the temperature will very slowly rise until the electric fan kicks in, and that will then cool it down again.

·
MEG Corporal
1,387 Posts
Hi, The temperature gauge,and the heater should be normal after about 10 minites, if the temperature gauge is on cold, but the heater is hot, then its the temperature gauge sender, if the heater is cold, and the gauge is on cold, it is the thermostat. I think yours is a MK3 Mondeo, so the thermostat is part of the housing, I think you will have to change the whole lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.